Night terror in adult

For the past three years I've been having night terrors once in a while where i yell from my sleep and I have no idea why I'm yelling like something is happening. Then after 30 seconds or so it hits me that I had a night terror. I usually rememebr it the next day. However I do not rememebr having a bad dream I just rememebr yelling.

It went away for a few months now but recently this month when I get up every morning, for about 20-30 seconds I run around the room looking for my clothes because I want to get out of the room bc I think someone is after me or something or because I did something a wrong and I want to go outside my room and see what's going on. This has happened almost every opening for about two weeks now. What could this be? What causes this? Is this serious or should invite it to go away?

Thank you for reaching out to EmpowHER!

Night terrors are quite terrifying , as their names would suggest. 

They can be caused by stress and anxiety, by needing to go to the bathroom or by hearing noises in the home or outside but there are also unknown reasons. 

These should go away on their own but since it has been three years, it's a good idea to talk to a doctor about your options. 

Sleep Disorders

Sleep Disorders Guide