Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide

ask: Nipple pain... Not pregnant and it can't be menopause either!?!?

I am 35 and had a complete hysterectomy 8 years ago. I already went through the menopause symptoms and now at least half the time, I feel like someone just tried to rip my nipples off. They hurt and burn, but if I gently push on them with the palms of my hands and hold them, the pain becomes tolerable. But of corse I can't just walk around like that all the time. Someone PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks,
Kelly

Anonymous

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Empowher.

You may be dealing with mastitis, which is an inflammation of the breast, and can affect only one breast at a time. Mastitis occurs when a milk duct in the breast becomes blocked, or the skin around the breast nipple becomes cracked. Both of these situations allow bacteria to enter and infect the breast tissue.

The steps that provide pain relief for mastitis may help you, whether or not you have mastitis, so I'm going to provide those for you to help reduce the pain.

* Apply ice compresses to the affected area of your breast.
* Consider using over-the-counter pain relievers.
* Drink lots of fluids.
* Get plenty of rest.

You can find more information on our Mastitis page:

http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/mastitis

I hope this is helpful, and that you will get back in touch with us after you see your doctor and let us know what you learn.

Good luck,
Missie

What Do You Think the Best Way to Screen for Early Detection of Breast Cancer is?: