No period for 5 months after c-section, pregnancy?

By Anonymous February 18, 2016 - 7:13am

I have had a c-section 6 months ago, I had unprotected sex 4 weeks after c-section. I took the emergency contraception pill the morning after. 5 weeks after my c-section (and a week after unprotected sex) I had a lot of bleeding which my doctor said was my first period. I have not had a period since then (5 months ago). I have done 3 pregnancy tests since then, just to be sure and they all came back negative. I am exclusive breast-feeding and I have PCOS. I don't understand why I had a period after giving birth but since then nothing...Anyone had similar experiences, Any ideas?

Congratulations on your baby!

I think there may be a simple explanation and it's due to the emergency contraception. A side effect of that is bleeding, usually 3-7 days after you take it. Did you tell your doctor you used EC? If not, he may not have known this bleeding was probably connected to the medication.

Since you are exclusively breastfeeding, a lack of periods is common. This is the body's way of avoiding pregnancy while the woman has a young baby.

I would think this explains what happened. Some women who breastfeed don't get periods until they stop or start supplementing. A pregnancy test is a good idea to confirm this and ease your mind and it's still a good idea to always use protection as you never know when your first post-birth ovulation will occur.

Read more on breastfeeding here: