Amenorrhea

Amenorrhea Guide

ask: No period for 5 months negative pregnancy test what could be wrong?

I had my last period on 4-15-09 and it was normal. The next month I had kind of a spotty one. Nothing heavy. I have not had my period sonce then. I have taken home pregnancy test at least twice a month and they all come back negative. I do how ever have some cervical mucus.some probably every other day. I do not know what is going on. Please help if you can.

Anonymous

I am 27 yr old and I haven't had a period in 4 months. I haven't have sex with a man in almost 2yrs . What could be wrong ? I'm not stressed or on med of any kind

Hi Lokelani21

You may have amenorrhea - which is the absence of periods. EmpowHer describes nonpregnant amenorrhea as resulting from a variety of factors, including an existing medical condition, lifestyle, emotional distress, hormonal irregularity, or medication. Every effort should be made to determine the exact cause. Specific causes of amenorrhea include:

◦Dramatic weight loss, particularly from drastic diets, eating disorders including anorexia and bulimia , or excessive exercise
◦Dramatic weight gain or morbid obesity
◦Malnourishment
◦Birth defects including lack of a uterus, vagina, or other reproductive organs
◦Medical conditions including cystic fibrosis , Cushing's disease , polycystic ovary , or Prader-Willi syndrome
◦Psychological stress—can lead to a hormonal imbalance sufficient to cause amenorrhea.
◦Medications—some antidepressants, chemotherapeutics, corticosteroids, certain contraceptives.
◦Chromosomal abnormalities
◦Hermaphroditism (having both male and female reproductive organs)
◦Pituitary tumor
◦Thyroid dysfunction
◦Uterine scarring

Risk Factors
Women who eat a diet that doesn’t provide sufficient caloric intake, exercise excessively, or suffer under considerable psychological distress are more likely to experience amenorrhea.

Women born with chromosomal or hormonal abnormalities, as well as those who suffer from certain chronic diseases, are also more likely to experience amenorrhea.

Symptoms
The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is the absence of a menstrual period in girls age 16 or older. The main symptom of secondary amenorrhea is three or more missed periods in a row in a woman who has previously had a regular period.

If you experience any of these symptoms, don’t assume that the cause of your amenorrhea is something serious. If you’re sexually active, the first thing to do is to determine if you’re pregnant. Then see your physician to get a proper diagnosis.

Diagnosis
Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and perform a physical exam.

Tests may include the following:

◦Pregnancy test
◦Blood work to determine hormone levels
◦Chromosome test to determine if any abnormalities exist
◦Urine test
◦Progestin challenge test (taking progestogen for 7-10 days to trigger bleeding in order to determine if lack of estrogens is responsible for amenorrhea)
◦CT scan of the head —a type of x-ray that uses a computer to make pictures of structures of the head, brain, and skull
◦MRI (magnetic resonance imaging ) scan of the head —a test that uses magnetic waves to make pictures of brain tissue
◦Ultrasound —use of high-frequency sound waves to view and examine the organs of the abdominal cavity
◦Laparoscopy —insertion of a thin tube affixed with a light and camera, along with other instruments, through a tiny incision in the abdominal wall

Lokelani21, you may be pregnant even though your pregnancy tests are positive. I have a few questions for you - have you been having unprotected sex, especially in the last 5-8 months?

Have you noticed any weight gain or abdominal enlargement? You may need to have a blood test/ultra sound to confirm or deny a pregnancy.

How old are you? I can't assume you're 21 due to your screen name. If you are over the age of 40, you may be entering perimenopause (or even menopause, some women start very early).

How is your diet and exercise regime and are you on any medications? Do you have any other symptoms than not having a period?

I would suggest to you that you visit a health care provider. Having no period at all is not normal and needs to be looked into. Will you get things checked out and let us know what your doctor says?

lokelani21 (reply to Susan Cody)

Hello
Thank you for the information that you have given me. I am 23 just turned it on the 20. Yes I have had unprotected sex in the last 5-8 months. This is really the only thing that I have going on. This has happened before after I had my daughter. I went 3 or 4 months with out a period then had one like I should. Mine have never been regular they have always to me been a little late. But never have I gone more than 5 months except for when I was pregnant. I guess I am just going to have to call my doctor and go and see him.

Anonymous (reply to lokelani21)

Lokelani21, what ended up happening?? In your precise situation now...... -crcnavygirl

Do you suffer from springtime allergies?: