Nuvaring MISSING! Could I be pregnant??

By Anonymous March 21, 2011 - 10:35am

Hi. I've been using the nuvaring for almost a year and have never had this happen. I planning my wedding and have been under a ton of stress lately which is inturn making me extremely forgetful. I took my nuvaring out Sunday (2/20/11) and forgot to put the new one back in on Sunday (2/27/11). I remembered first thing on Monday (2/28/11) that I forgot, and put the new nuvaring in then. On Wednesday (3/17/11) I realized my ring was MISSING! I actually hadn't been feeling good emotionally the prior few day (kind of PMSy) so that could be an explaination for that. I never felt it fall out or anything. I'd had sex probably about about 3 times between putting the new ring in and realizing my ring was missing. The very next day after I realized the ring was missing I got what seemed like my period. It was very heavy to the point where I was having to change my tampon every hour and a half to two hours and was very dark in color. It dwindled and then about 3 days later it pretty much stopped all together. What could that bleeding have been? Could I be pregnant? I've heard of implantation bleeding but heard its usually only spotting and mine seemed heavier then that. Someone also suggested to me that that bleeding could have been a miscarriage? Is that a possibility? I'm worried..

Thanks so much, Susan! I will call my doctor in the morning.

Your risk of pregnancy has been raised if you have had unprotected sex. You also need to see your doctor to find the ring, it may be somewhere up your cervical area where you are not reaching it. A doctor can get it out in a matter of seconds.

However, your bleeding may have been withdrawal bleeding meaning the ring somehow came out and you are now unprotected. We cannot say if the bleeding was a miscarriage or not. Many women miscarry without even knowing it.

You need to see a doctor to see if the ring is still inside you or not and please use condoms until you know what's going on.

I hope this helps you and please update us when you know more!