one year i have pain in my knees, they said arthroses, is there any treatment?

one year ago suddenly i felt paining my left knee while going down the stairs. i thought it will pass, but soon the pain appeared in the right knee as well.i made MRI, they said its arthroses...I tried non steroid untyinflamation treatment, laser therapy, i tried all kind of creams, aqua gym... but nothing helps:( difficult is to get up after siting, get out of the car... is there any treatment for this??? or i have to suffer all the rest of my life? i am 57, 1.68 cm tall, 92kg i know my weight is too big, but what seems strange for me, in january i could ski, and from march i got this problem, without any trauma, suddenly like that???? arthroses of second degree??? please help!!! i cannot wear high hill, my way of walking is changed, all my life style champed, as i have pain all time :( thanks in advance , Natia P.S. Happy New Year!!!

Hi Natia

Thanks for your question and happy new year to you too! 

Arthritis is extremely painful and can surface in a matter of weeks or months although it has likely been there for some time before you feel it. 

Since you have done all sorts of therapy, you are on (or have tried) medications, have had laser treatments and are still in a lot of pain, you may have to consider a partial or full knee replacement.  There are 600,000 of these surgeries done every year in the US!

If you do consider knee replacement surgery here are things you should know:

• Know the difference between total knee placement surgery and partial knee replacement surgery. For example, partial knee replacement replaces only the damaged area and total knee replacement replace the entire joint.

• AARP says that your new joint will be made of “an alloy of cobalt, chrome or titanium, and a plastic compound called polyethylene”.

• Recover time can vary. You could be in the hospital up to three days and in rehabilitation for an additional seven days.

• Select an experienced surgeon and hospital carefully.

• Be realistic about your outcome. You may not feel 100% again but you'll likely feel a lot better. 

• Expect to return to work after two weeks if your job is not labor intensive. However, if you job is very physical expect a longer recovery time up to several months.

Natia, is this something you would consider talking to your doctor about? Medications and therapies don't work for all people and surgery may be the answer for you. 

Hi Susan, Thanks for your kind attention and answer to my question. Honestly ,the surgery is the last thing that i would think about. I have medical education myself ( Graduated State Medical University, and PHD in morphology, now working in healthcare management) and in this case, i know that risks are much more.. and plus i visited the specialist in Paris ,this autumn, and he told me," madame , I can offer you operation, but it will not help .. :( you have to live with it "... anyway thanks for your reply to my problem
with the best wishes