Only one period since coming off Brevinor pill.

By April 7, 2010 - 10:12am

I was on the contraceptive pill- Brevinor for around 11 years and have recently come off the pill around 3 months ago as im trying for a baby. I experienced my first period around 5 weeks after coming off the pill and havent had a period since its around 3 weeks late now. I have done numerous pregnancy tests and they come up as negative. Im just wondering if this is normal? and any advice from people who have experienced this.

Emma x

Dear Emma79

It's quite normal for some women to have erratic monthly cycles for three or four months after they come off birth control. The good news is that you said you did have a period after coming off the Brevinor (your title says you have had no period though, can you clarify this for us?) so hopefully this is something that should sort itself out within the next 6 weeks or so.

One thing to think about is that you have been taking hormones for 11 years. So you are not aware of how your body is without them. If your cycle was fine before you took them, it doesn't mean it still is, due to the passing of 11 years - a substantial amount of time. Our bodies and cycles change over time, especially in our 30s.

If your period is still irregular on your next cycle, it might be a good idea to get this checked into, especially if you are trying for a baby.

May I ask how old you are and if you are taking any other medications now?

Hi Susan,

Sorry ive altered the title. Im 30 years old, 31 this year.
I have done numerous pregnancy tests which come up negative. I just dont know how to judge now when im fertily.