Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection Guide

ask: Orange-red mucus...sign of a sinus infection, or something else?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

I was talking to a good friend of mine today and she was telling me about how she thinks she has her very first sinus infection. Her teeth hurt on one side of her face, her face hurts when she leans over to pick a toy off the floor, and worst of all, she has this orange-red mucus coming out of her nose from the right nostril only.

She is not running a fever, so she was telling me she was thinking of just treating it at home with over-the-counter remedies, but I'm strongly advising her to see her physician. Yellow and green gunk I'm familiar with, but orange? That just doesn't sound good to me. Like maybe blood is in there too or something.

Have any of you ever had this color mucus come out of you before, and if so, what did you do to get rid of it? Did you see your doctor like I think my friend should? Any advice that I can pass along to her would be highly appreciated.

Anonymous

thanks for everyones comments on here. im on antibiotics already and take it 3 times a day. if i miss a dose i get like a neon orange/red fluid type stuff coming out of my nose. its not runny, feels normal like i just need to blow my nose until when i do, it fills up the kleenex. but a neti pot sounds like a good investment. and nasal spray. its been over a week so i think im going to contact my doctor as well.

Anonymous

i,ve had a flu/cold that's has plagued me for two month now, it keeps coming and going but doesn't seem to watn to leave my system. i went to docs who checked all my bloods cos i thought i must have some deficciency but they all came back 100% good, however today i felt this thick lump slide down from my nasal passage into my mouth and it was like orange glue, bright orange. i was shocked i,ve never seen thsi before but after reading my post it makes sense to be dried up bllod from an infection cos it probably has been tbhere a while and hopefully it's now leaving my system

Anonymous

I'm not defending "Coach Virginia" in any way, however, what if she copied and pasted another source that held the exact same contents as WebMD?

Anonymous

I had a friend who had orange mucus drainage with sinus infections - she went to an ENT specialist who stated that if it's Orange.. it's a fungal infection rather than viral or bacterial - and she had to go on specific medication - it sorted it out fairly quick & hasn't re-occurred either!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Great post and thanks for sharing. The more information we have, the better. I'm glad your friend is better!
~Susan

Anonymous

I am sitting here trying to find out about orange mucus because I just happen to be sick and have been blowing orange stuff out of my nose and coughing it up from my lungs. I feel terrible, but I have to comment on Coach Virginia's comments about orange mucus..... I just read EXACTLY what she said on WebMD about 30 seconds before reading her comment. I have to agree with the person who thinks that this person has taken the advise from WebMD and posted it on her as if it were an original comment/observation. As soon as I read the comment, I knew where it had come from and then I went on to read the posts from some other person who noticed the same thing. What a funny bunch of posts. Just say where you found something..... no one will think any less of you for it. :-)

Anonymous

Garlic probably. I have a really really bad sinus infection. My teeth are killing me, my ears were clogged from the fluid buildup, REALLY bad headaches, my forehead and nose cavities were swollen and clogged.. My boyfriend recommended I try breathing in steamed Garlic 2-3 times a day.

We didn't have any fresh cloves on hand, but we did have garlic powder. The recommended dosage was 2 tablespoons, but I went a little overboard. Not like I can smell anything anyway, right?

First time after breathing it, noticed only a slight difference. Went to bed, woke up feeling like crap as usual, decided to give it another go. Boiled some water, put garlic powder in it, and realized, yesterdays treatment did a lot more for me than I realized, because today, I can actually SMELL. Man was that a pain, but literally within 5 minutes of breathing the steamed water I (This is gross) blew my nose, it popped my ears, hurt like hell, but the stuff that came out was much much thicker than anything before. Very very yellow and orange. I can hear now, I can breathe, my nose isnt clogged. My teeth still hurt and so do my ears though.

Garlic is a natural antibiotic for both bacteria AND fungus. I never knew that!!!

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

I believe garlic does have many powerful healing properties, and I have also read that it is a natural antibiotic. However, I wanted others reading this to know that the healing properties in garlic are found in large quantities of fresh garlic. I am unsure what, if any, of these substances are still found in garlic powder---a highly processed form of garlic.

I am glad that you found something that worked for you. Garlic may help with some of the symptoms, but garlic powder is not going to be an adequate treatment for a well-established infection. It is advised that you still have a medical evaluation for your residual symptoms and infection.

I am concerned that there is a significant difference between smelling the aroma from a garlic glove versus SNIFFING garlic powder (I assume some of these particles entered into your nasal cavity) and may cause some harm and further infection.

ManicMom

I've had so many sinus infections in my lifetime I think I've tried every medication known to man. My mom has given me home remedies, I've read a million books and spent many nights online searching for a new solution at the first sign of sinus symptoms until I found something that works.

Anonymous (reply to ManicMom)

@ManicmMom, what have you learned? You can't just leave us sicklings hanging like that!

If you have used an online community or social network to self-diagnose a medical problem, was it successful?: