ask: Orange-red mucus...sign of a sinus infection, or something else?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter February 19, 2009 - 9:50pm

I was talking to a good friend of mine today and she was telling me about how she thinks she has her very first sinus infection. Her teeth hurt on one side of her face, her face hurts when she leans over to pick a toy off the floor, and worst of all, she has this orange-red mucus coming out of her nose from the right nostril only.

She is not running a fever, so she was telling me she was thinking of just treating it at home with over-the-counter remedies, but I'm strongly advising her to see her physician. Yellow and green gunk I'm familiar with, but orange? That just doesn't sound good to me. Like maybe blood is in there too or something.

Have any of you ever had this color mucus come out of you before, and if so, what did you do to get rid of it? Did you see your doctor like I think my friend should? Any advice that I can pass along to her would be highly appreciated.

I am just now getting over being sick with bronchitis for a little over a week now. And all through this week i have had a runny stuffy nose but clear fluids, a couple days ago i had this nasty taste in the back of my throat and when i spit up it was bloody mucus. I blew my nost and i had this thick yellow-orenge mucus that had little chunks of blood in it, and it wouldnt stop i kept blowing my nose and blowing my nose it wont stop. It hasnt gotten better, i suggest a doctor right away!

all this is the same for me except the snot is coming out of my left nostril. what do i do?

Im too blowing orangey-yellow mucus and weirdly only out the right nostrel, the left is clear normal.

This is my situation right now. This is the first time I have ever had orange mucus, to be honest, it freaked me out. I thought I was dying or at the very least had meningitis. What did you do to clear it up? I do not want to call the doctor because it will be about three weeks before they can see me.

I have had orange mucus multiple times. From what I've gather, it is directly related to having some sort of infection with regards to your sinus or throat. No worries. Just beat the infection. Once the mucus isn't orange anymore and returns to normal, you've beaten your infection.

it's better to go see physician the ticket do it at home because sometimes you think you could take care of it a home and you will most likely make it worse because you do not know what you were doing

I have the same symptoms right now too and I'm thinking it might be something more than an infection because I had this before and my physician said that it was an infection so put me on antibiotics and it went away hopefully it's just the same problem

"It might be something more than an infection so I went to my physician and he said it was an infection" wtf ur not making sense.

thanks for everyones comments on here. im on antibiotics already and take it 3 times a day. if i miss a dose i get like a neon orange/red fluid type stuff coming out of my nose. its not runny, feels normal like i just need to blow my nose until when i do, it fills up the kleenex. but a neti pot sounds like a good investment. and nasal spray. its been over a week so i think im going to contact my doctor as well.

i,ve had a flu/cold that's has plagued me for two month now, it keeps coming and going but doesn't seem to watn to leave my system. i went to docs who checked all my bloods cos i thought i must have some deficciency but they all came back 100% good, however today i felt this thick lump slide down from my nasal passage into my mouth and it was like orange glue, bright orange. i was shocked i,ve never seen thsi before but after reading my post it makes sense to be dried up bllod from an infection cos it probably has been tbhere a while and hopefully it's now leaving my system

Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection Guide

If you have used an online community or social network to self-diagnose a medical problem, was it successful?: