Ovarian Cyst

By June 11, 2014 - 7:14am

Is it normal to experience a ruptured cyst every month? I have a pretty normal menstruation cycle which is like clock work. But I have noticed that since experiencing my first episode of a severe cyst rupture this year, I have been experiencing it even more. Is this a cause for concern?

Hi Kennie

Thanks for your question - it's a great one! 

Unfortunately for some women, they do experience cysts on a monthly basis that dissolve quietly.  These are called "functional cysts." 

But even if some women have this regularly, I would suggest talking to your doctors about this. Some ruptured cysts can be very serious and cause a lot of pain. 

Your doctor will likely do some tests to find out exactly what kind of cysts you are experiencing. 

One way to reduce them is to go on the birth control pill - if  this is something you're in agreement with. 

Please put a call into your doctor, you should not be dealing with this on a monthly basis and you need to work with your doctor to reduce or eliminate any kind of rupture. A rupture is not something to get used to and also explain to your doctor that they are increasing in numbers. 

Will you keep us posted?

Thank you Susan for the insight.

I did speak to my doctor about it, he advised that next time I am experiencing what might seem like a rupture, I'm to visit him at that time for an ultrasound to see what is happening exactly.

Great to hear it, Kennie. 

Keep us posted as to how things go.

Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide