ask: ovarian cyst lasting two years

By Felica Lenz February 22, 2011 - 8:09pm

I have had an ovarian cyst for almost two years now, insurance complications have prevented me from getting it removed. It is a little over 2 cm but still causes alot of pain. My doctors tried birth control pills. What could cause it to last this long?

Yes, ovarian cysts are caused by the changes of the hormones in the body and the irregular of your menstrual period. On going with that, there are lots of ovarian cysts treat which is your options in getting touch with you.

Felica Lenz

I did not know this before but the ultrasound said the cyst is septated???

Christine Jeffries (reply to Felica Lenz)

Hi Felica Lenz,
How are you doing? Any updates? How has the doctor treated this cyst? How are you feeling?
Please come back and let us know.
Take care,

Felica Lenz

sorry that was me, I didn't realize I was not signed in.

I did begin menstruating at ten, I was only on birth control pills for about five months. I had to quit taking them because even though my doctor had me skip the sugar pills I actually bled the whole time I was on them, which actually hurt more than it helped. It causes alot of pain, and of course worries me. Everything I read says it should go away.

Christine Jeffries

Hi Felicia,
In addition to Missie's great information, I thought this article may help you better understand what could be happening: EmpowHER Article: Ovarian Cysts. You also may want to ask the question of your doctor--they should be your best resource for information specific to your own health history.
Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Hi Felicia,
I am sorry to hear about your cyst and certainly about the insurance issues also. According to Emedicine the following are possible risk factors for developing ovarian cysts:
History of previous ovarian cysts
Irregular menstrual cycles
Increased upper body fat distribution
Early menstruation (11 years or younger)
Hypothyroidism or hormonal imbalance
Tamoxifen (Soltamox) therapy for breast cancer
Oral contraceptive/birth control pill use decreases the risk of developing ovarian cysts because they prevent the ovaries from producing eggs during ovulation.
How long have you been on birth control? Do you experience any pain?

Thank you for the additional information.

Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :