ovary cancer

hi i am from Macedonia, I have cancer in the ovary, Ca-125 with 12.6 percent, i drink some vitamins C that my doctor recommended me,But is it risky?Can You explain me about this cancer?

hi, i was in control,the doctor said that i don't have a cancer in ovarian, maybe my pain comes from kidney, and i need to do and some tests that's all.I'm soo happy because i don't have a cancer in ovarian. :D

HERWriter Guide (reply to SoFyM359)

Thanks so much for your great update! I was questioning whether you actually had cancer myself, since no woman (and certainly not a 16 year old!) would be sent home with vitamins and told to come back in 2 months if they had ovarian cancer.

You might be a lot better off staying away from your first doctor. Do you know if she is a real doctor - as in a medically trained and certified physician?

I'd still like you to stay in touch regarding what may be going on with your kidneys. Please update us when you know more. I'll be looking out for your posts!

Yes I'm sure.Wen she saw the results are 12.6 % (for tumor) she said this is good,drink this vitamins and come back in 08-September-2010, and see whether it is increased.Nothing else.

HERWriter Guide (reply to SoFyM359)

Hi SoFyM359

I find it concerning that a young girl has ovarian cancer and her doctor tells her to take vitamins and come back in a couple of months...what has your mother said about this advice?

I am so glad you are going to the private hospital this week - I think you'll get better care there and something other than vitamins. Will you update us after your appointment?

Hi Susan.
I looked the web site what i give you,but there haven't any button for translate.
Wen i say ambulance it means privacy hospital. people in this city where i live they say bicause this hospital is the best, and we decided to go there to make from the beginning all the tests and to see if its true that what my doctor said.
No, she just tell me:" you are fine this 12.6% is not risk( if you have 35 up % then is risk).
In Tuesday i will go, and wen i will come back i will tell you everything,what they said to me.I'm 16 year old.

HERWriter Guide (reply to SoFyM359)

My goodness, I'm sorry - you are very young for ovarian cancer!

Please do everything you can to attend this private hospital and I'm so glad your mother is doing her best to help you.

I have one more question - are you sure your doctor said you have actual cancer or did she say you have a lump or a cyst of some kind?

Hi SoFyM359

Thank you so much for finding EmpowHer and welcome!

I am very sorry that you are battling ovarian cancer now but you have come to the right place for support and information!

If your doctor told you that a Vitamin C supplement can help you then I assume you're fine with taking it.

For more information on Ovarian Cancer, we have a great page for you to look at. To start -

Ovarian cancer is the growth of cancer cells in the ovaries. The ovaries make eggs for reproduction and female hormones. The most common type of ovarian cancer is epithelial.

Cancer occurs when cells in the body divide without control or order. If cells keep dividing uncontrollably, a mass of tissue forms. This is called a growth or tumor. The term cancer refers to malignant tumors. They can invade nearby tissue and spread to other parts of the body.

Many of these tumors may grow to be very large without showing symptoms. These tumors can be hard to find during a physical exam. As a result, about 70% of patients are found with advanced disease.

Germ cell tumors come from the reproductive tissue. They account for 20% of tumors. More rare are stromal cancers. These come from the connective cells of the ovary. They typically make hormones which cause symptoms.

Treatment depends on the extent of the cancer and your general health.

General Approach
If ovarian cancer is found, staging tests are done. They will help to find out if the cancer has spread and, if so, to what extent.

The more advanced the tumor, the poorer the prognosis. About, 75% of all epithelial tumors are in an advanced when they are found. The overall five-year survival rate is about 50%.

Surgery is often the first step. Afterwards, you will receive chemotherapy . Sometimes, radiation therapy of the abdomen is given.

Treatments include:

The cancerous tumor and nearby tissue will be removed. Nearby lymph nodes may also be removed.

Chemotherapy is the use of drugs to kill cancer cells. It may be given in many forms including pill, injection, and via a catheter. The drugs enter the bloodstream. They travel through the body killing mostly cancer cells. Some healthy cells are killed as well.

Radiation Therapy (Radiotherapy)
This therapy uses radiation to kill cancer cells and shrink tumors. Radiation may be:

■External radiation therapy—radiation directed at the abdomen from a source outside the body
■Intra-abdominal P32—sometimes a radioactive solution may be introduced into the abdomen as part of treatment

The more advanced the tumor at diagnosis, the poorer the prognosis. Unfortunately, 75% of all epithelial tumors are stage 3 or 4 at the time of diagnosis. The overall five-year survival rate is about 50%.

SoFyM359 - you can read lots more on our Ovarian Cancer page here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/ovarian-cancer

On the left hand side of the page you can click on all the information about the disease, as well as stories and support from other women and advice and help from doctors and other professionals in this area.

Can you tell us what stage your cancer is in?

I hope to hear back from you very soon and wish you the best during your treatment and recovery-

Hi, thank you so much for this information, well i don't no my doctor only gave me that vitamins and she told me to come back for control after two months, in 08-September-2010 to see if the tumor has grow up.She did to me blood test to see if i have a tumor, the tests showed that i have tumor markers Ca-125 with 12.6 % .My mother is sad about my situate and we appointed a term to a private ambulance and i will go there for control in 3-august-2010. this is the web site of the ambulance http://www.sistina.com.mk/ ...and I have menses once in two months,it relates this to cancer?...i hope you understand me,because i don't no English well..

HERWriter Guide (reply to SoFyM359)

Hi again!

Your English is wonderful and I understand all you say!

I checked out your website link but I don't understand a word! Is there a translation button?

Just so you know...an ambulance is a vehicle that takes a person to a hospital - when you say ambulance I think you mean 'hospital'.

And yes - getting your period every two months may be caused by your cancer.

SoFyM359, when you say you go to the hospital for 'control' ...do you mean more testing?

I find it concerning that your doctor is giving you vitamins and making you wait until September to see if the tumors are getting smaller. Ovarian cancer is an aggressive disease that needs immediate treatment. Has she not discussed treatment with you?

I am very glad you are going to a private hospital on Monday - will you let me know how it goes? Can you also tell me how old you are?

Ovarian Cancer