ask: Over dosage of Postinor 2

By Kennie

I took both pills in one dosage, is this dangerous or less effective? Also, what are the usual side effects after taking the pills and how soon after? I took the pills about a 17 days ago and now I'm spotting ( not heavy but blood is present). Could this be a side effect?

Anonymous

Period started 17th ended 21st Feb had sex 23rd/24th Feb, took postinor 2 then started bleedin on 1st March. What does that imply?

Anonymous

Anonymous

Hello
I just have a question i took 2 tablets at once after 2hours. after
the intercourse and it was about 6days to my period but i haven't. gone in my period yet. Now its 3days late what can i do yet i have some abdominal pains but not bleeding. Pliz reply

Anonymous

hello, I recently took two postinor 2 tablets in one go 12 hours after the intercourse. The thing is, my period came (i assumed it is my period because it seems to be heavy bleeding for 3 days now.) however, i have been experiencing really painful lower abdominal pains for 3 days or so now. my cramps would usually subside on the 2nd day. in addition, my menstrual blood also seems to have the smell of semen rather than the usual smell. is there a problem?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

The heavy bleeding indicates Postinor 2 was effective and you are not pregnant. Some women experience lower abdominal pain as a side effect of the pill. However, if the pain persists or worsens, consult your gynecologist or primary care physician. You might want to mention the different smell of the bleeding. I am not aware of this.

Regards,

Anonymous

Thank you for your reply! Btw, I read Maryann's comment that says, "Do not worry. If you do not experience any vaginal bleeding within three weeks of taking the pill, do take a pregnancy test". Sorry for the many questions. Does spotting count? Or does it have to be a full flow period? I want to take the Postinor pills cos i am not sure if my bf's semen touched my vagina (it most probably didnt but just to be safe) but i'm scared that the semen didnt actually touched my vagina and the pills will just disrupt my period flow. I'm just so confused! :(

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi again Anon!

Spotting might count - Anon - everyone is different, you are asking specific questions on a medication that has varied side effects based on each woman who takes it.  Some women spot, some have enough bleeding to appear to be a period. 

The medication may interrupt your cycle - that's a common side effect. It's up to you to make this decision.  But you need to get on with it as it loses it's effectiveness for every day you wait. 

Anonymous

Hi there. I just have a question. As i have read in the previous comments, if i am not mistaken i read that vaginal bleeding (or spotting) as a result of taking the Postinor pills is a sign that it has worked to prevent the pregnancy. I was wondering if vaginal bleeding would occur too if semen transfer didn't happen? In other words like if i thought that my boyfriend's sperm might've made its way to my vagina and i take the Postinor pills but in reality semen transfer actually didn't happen? Pls advice. Hope to hear from you soon!

PS : How long does the spotting usually last?

Some people do go by bleeding being a sign it works but this isn't technically true. It's the large dose of hormones that causes the bleeding and has nothing to do with whether a person would or would not have become pregnant without taking it. 

Anonymous

I had intercourse and after 17hrs I took the first pill, second pill I took 6hrs later after first pill. Am I safe am afraid I might be pregnant. Pliz advise

Thanks
Suzzan.

Do you support the idea of a single woman using In Vitro Fertilization to have a baby?: