overlooked nerve compression

By Anonymous November 7, 2013 - 7:47am

Hello, 2.5 years ago I had cheek trauma - overlooked mild fracture caused infraorbital nerve compression. I have very very mild numbness, and pain when touch. it's annoying. I know that prolonged compression kills the neuron cells. But what about when loss of function is very very mild - I mean 95% of normal feeling for example. Do You know any case that so prolonged nerve compression with very mild loss of function recover after surgery decompression ? I have asked 2 Doctors yet and they do not know

Haha.... I just realised here are only women.. empowHER.... How did I put post here... I'm a man from the Europe ;)
BTW zygomatic fracture in women group is very rare...

That's ok!

We have lot of male members and readers too; from all over the world.

You never know who could read this!

Thank you for your question!

From the research I have done, when this kind of damage hasn't healed within 2-3 years, it's often permanent due to the scarring of the damaged nerve.

Are you seeing a neurologist for this? Have your doctors talked to you about surgery options?

Yes I have talked to neurologists and surgeons.. It could not heal complety because of the compression. I have a lot of anxiety due to the extremely annoying symptoms... at 9/10 level .. no one drug can reduce that in ma case. Doctor is going to perform decompression surgery, but there is no guarantee due to time which passed since injury, but at the same time there is little chance that it can help....very little dysfunction

I don't know how my fracture could have been overlooked

What I ask here now, is , Have You ever seen any case, that compression with very little negative symptoms [very very slight hypoasthesia] can be reversible after few years of the compression? any case ?

Hi again Anon

I have not read of any cases myself from the reading I have done but that doesn't mean it can't happen (at all!). As we have both said, it's the delay since the time of the injury that causes the permanency of the injury.

I hope any women who read this who have gone through the same thing can give you the benefit of  their experiences.

In the meantime, you need to ask your own doctors for their experiences/successes in this area OR ask to be referred to a healthcare specialist who has had success in this area. They must know of SOMEBODY!

Let us know!