ask: Pain in back of legs & knees after sex

I have severe pain running down the backs of both legs (from my sitting bones down hamstrings) & knees after having sex. When I sit, it's dull & not as bad, but when I'm up it is awful! It starts within minutes of finishing sex and lasts at least half a day. Have never had this problem before. I am pregnant if that makes any difference, but haven't had this issue with past pregnancies. It's taking the fun out of having sex with my husband. Is there anything I can do to avoid or at least ease the pain?

Anonymous

It's because of the sperm. It had a certain type of I think chemical that starts with a P, but it gives you contractions and helps soften your cervix. I went into labor at 37 weeks my first pregnancy because of it, although I was 3 cm dilated at 8 months. Just use a condom or have your husband pull out. That's what mine does

Anonymous

I have the same thing. It started about at about 5 months with my 1st two pregnancies and now with my 3rd its happening at 12 weeks. Its really painful and lasts all day for me.

Anonymous

i got pain in my inner side of thigh after having sex,the penetration is not to much,do i have a chance to gat pregnant

Anonymous

Since you are pregnant, that's the reason of the pain you are suffering. It might be this time, this could be a different approach on your pregnancy. Your pregnancies before might be easier compared to this one.

Anonymous

I have a similar problem. Have had severe numbness in my feet, then progressively into my calves, then hamstrings then buttocks over about the past 18 mths. It starts immediately after sex, eases up if there are periods of abstinence, but generally is progressively getting worse. Now my toes are starting to curl up and I am getting increasingly more cramps. It started during my first pregnancy, the settled after but got seriously worse about 6 months after my second pregnancy. I had 2 caesarians due to over-ripe babies and there is a suggestions that there is scar tissue causing pressure on circulation or perhaps varicose veins that are somehow affected. I am off to the vascular surgeon soon. I am sick of it. The pain and numbness are debilitating, I am starting to avoid sex which is not good and it is so tiring. I am used to being a fit and healthy person. I hope somewhere that there are some answers!

Anonymous

I am so glad I found this thread. I am 6 months pregnant and would be in pain all day after having sex with my husband. We immediately tried using a condom (as suggested) and the pain was nonexistent!! I would suggest you give it a try!

Anonymous

I am so relieved to see that I am not the only one having this issue. My husband seriously did not believe that there is any way the pain was related to sex. I actually sent him this thread so he could read how many other women are having the same problem. The pain is often so unbearable that I can’t even stand long enough to change a diaper. I literally have to plan out any sort of relations with my husband and make sure that I have a babysitter set up for the next day since I know I will be in pain for most of the day.

I had this during my first pregnancy but it did stop after birth. I am now 24 weeks pregnant and the pain started as soon as I started to show. I too spoke with my doctor with no real answers. I have started going to PT as I suspect it has to do with either my sciatic nerve or varicose veins (which I have developed down my leg this time around).

Since I had a C-section and have never really gone into full labor I am not sure about Cystocele. However, I will mention the symptoms to the next doctor I see and maybe she will have a thought on what is happening. I will write again if I notice a difference with the PT exercises or get any answers from any of the doctors in my practice.

Just knowing I am not the only one is so helpful though…

Anonymous

Same problem here! It started around 3 months into my pregnancy and hasn't gone away. I also have noticed it seems to be worse with ejaculation. I have teased my husband that I'm allergic to his sperm. Standing up in the shower my legs just ache and ache and ache! It's awful, but I sure am thankful that's all i'm complaining about and we have a healthy pregnancy!

Anonymous

I am desperate for info on this, updates that might lead to solutions...

A few minutes AFTER finishing with intercourse I get very intense pain from lower butt down back and inside of each thigh to back of knee. Better if sitting or lying down, horrible if trying to stand or walk. Lasts for hours.

Started after my first pregnancy, didn't think it was related. Continued through and after second pregnancy, baby is now almost a year old.

Mentioned to obgyn, who thought it was weird and recommended looking into acupuncture or chiropractor. Don't have any other problems or symptoms.

Would love to hear from anyone who had problem continue AFTER pregnancy and learn about anything that did or didn't work... Anywhere I can get more info?

redfox (reply to Anonymous)

Anonymous,
I too have continued to have this pain after pregnancy though not as severe and usually only during my period. I have found this link to be the most helpful and make the most sense: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cystocele/DS00665/DSECTION=causes
I would suggest trying Kegels; I dont do them faithfully as I should and they dont make it go away but they seem to take the edge off. Hope this helps.

Do you support the idea of a single woman using In Vitro Fertilization to have a baby?: