Pain, depression, isolation

I'm so glad I found this site. 40 years ago, my ex husband smashed my ankle with cinder blocks so I couldn't escape him and opt marriage. It happened many times.
Fast forward to today... My ankle has so much damage that I'm facing a fusion. I can't walk or drive, even in a brace, without searing ripping pain. I'm reluctant to take narcotics because I've been clean and sober for 13 years.
So I'm pretty much confined to bed and I'm feeling so scared and alone. I don't have any friends or family closeby.

The ankle surgeon said I'd be completely non- weight bearing for 12 weeks after surgery so I haven't scheduled it yet.
I don't even know what my question is... I'm so isolated and scared. Can you maybe just say hello?

Hi Leslie

Firstly - hello! And WELCOME!

I don't even know if you have a question other than you need a lot of support. It's hard to believe a spouse would damage you like this (both physically and emotionally) but he has and now you have to live with it while, I assume, he's off somewhere, doing his thing.

You need nursing care and rehab after surgery. Do you qualify for medicare? You probably do. You can get a fusion done and then be sent for nursing/rehab care, usually to a pretty good facility. I used to work in this area. You should qualify, by Medicare, for round the clock care. What you need to do is get in contact with social services to make these connections for you. Please do this as soon as possible. Once you get the ball rolling, they can make arrangements for you and it won't be so overwhelming.

Can you start this and let us know how it goes? We look forward to hearing back from you soon! In the meantime, please chat with fellow "fusers" who will be of great support to you and have lots of info and advice :

and here: