Arthritis

Arthritis Guide

ask: Pain Meds

By torn2pieces

I have been diagnosed for 8 years with severe rhuemotoid Arthritis. It has affected hands, knees ankles and am currently disabled. I am only 39 so I am not sure if my age plays a role or what but I have been doing this with no pain meds ever. Doctors seem to think I can watch all my joints just deform and just take the pain like a champ. My Rhuemy says to go to primary doc for pain meds when I ask they look at me like I am crazy. The 2 docs don't even communicate! Im getting lost in the shuffle. Do I find a new Rhuemy & Primary doc? Getting frustrated. Please give suggestions? It seems that neither doc understands this dreadful,painful disease.

torn2pieces

No it don't have to be a narcotic at all just something to take the edge off.

Hi torntopieces

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you're in so much pain - that's no way to live at all.

You need to see a specialist - a rhumatologist, who can help you with dealing with the pain. He or she may be able to refer you to a pain management specialist.

Are you looking to be put on pain medications that are narcotics? Unfortunately, because of so much abuse of these medications, it's harder for legitimate pain patients to get them.

Please talk to your doctor about this and insist on something being done to manage your pain in a safe way.