Pain in my right hip that sometimes leads to my knee. What do you think it could be?

I have had this pain for two years now and it doesn't seem to go away. I used to be very active, playing soccer and basketball but the pain would stop me from playing. I would try to fight through it but if I did that it would lead me to not being able to walk at the end of a game. I get pains when I am sitting for too long or after I have been walking around for 5 or more hours at work. The worst pain is when I lay down at night, that is when I usually feel it in my right knee too. I have have tried physical therapy and it works for a little bit but then the pain comes back. I also have gotten x-rays and MRI's but there is nothing shown. My dad also had these pains when he was my age and still has them. Any ideas?

Thanks for you post!

We'd be just hazarding a guess really, as to what is going on. How old are you? It may be the aches and pains of getting older but this pain does seem a bit specific. And since your Dad has the same thing, there could be something hereditary going on.

What kind of pain is this? Is it dull, sharp, warm?

Have you had any blood tests to check for autoimmune issues including rheumatoid arthritis? Did you Dad every get a diagnosis?

We look forward to hearing back from you!