pain in my side

By October 28, 2011 - 8:00am

i have a pain in my left side just right under my rib it is like a dull ache feels like it is in the back also what can this be , i always worry i could have cancer , have been having lose stools for about 9 months with pain i also had a hystorectomy at that time feel like my bowels have not been right since

Hi rhonda

Thank you for your question and welcome to EmpowHER!

There could be many reasons for left-sided pain under your ribs (even including an undiagnosed fracture or bad bruising - ribs are very sensitive) but one I am thinking of in your case is that you may have IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Symptoms include:
Symptoms usually come and go and range from mild to severe. They include:
■Abdominal cramps
■Gas and bloating
■Pain that resolves with a bowel movement
■Loose stools
■Alternating diarrhea and constipation
■Urge to move bowels again immediately following a bowel movement
■Mucus in the stool

These factors may worsen your symptoms:
■Menstrual periods
■Large meals or fatty foods
■Excess gas

And lower left rib pain can be caused by the cramping.

You can read more here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/irritable-bowel-syndrome

You may also have something like an ulcer or a damaged spleen. A damaged spleen can cause pain under the left ribcage.

I hope these suggestions shed some light on things for you and it's advisable that you call your doctor for a check up. Please keep us updated!

thank you very much i am goin to the dr next week to have it checked out

HERWriter Guide (reply to rhonda mcafee)

Good for you, Rhonda.

We hope it's something simple and that you come back and update us after!