Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide

ask: Pain under armpit and breast area.

By sandee

Hello, I'm 36 years old and a month ago started having stomach problems, nausea, dizziness, low night fevers..etc., I figured I had a stomach bug but at the same time began to feel pain under my armpit that spread to the breast area closest to the armpit. I asked my doctor about this pain, he said, he felt no lumps and that it was probably my lymph nodes bothering me as a result of the stomach bug and that it would go away soon. My dizziness got so bad I went to the ER one night and also complained to the ER doctor about the breast pain but he said he felt no lumps and told me not to worry about it. It's been a month, I am feeling a little better from my stomach although I still get dizzy after I eat and wake up nauseaus from time to time but the pain under my arm and breast is still there. I'm terrified, I saw another doctor and he's sending me for an ultrasound. What could be causing this pain for so long? One doctor said it could be my Lymph Nodes, the other said he wasn't sure, and the other one said it wasn't my lymph nodes! what can this be?

Anonymous

I can only tell my story, and hope it helps!
When an ache started on the left side of my chest about four months ago, I disregarded it, associating it to anxiety. A few days later, the pain went from an inconvenience, to debilitating within an hour, expanding to my underarm and down my hand. I was at work, desperate for every hour, so I didn't want to leave. A friend of mine noticed I was pale, asked what was wrong, and immediately went for chewable aspirin, convinced I was having a heart attack.
Work sent me to the closest er, where the radiologist told me I had a small aneurysm on my aortic valve. I quit work, went on blood pressure and antianxiety meds to keep my stress to a minimum, wrote up a new will, had a dozen restrictions on activity and diet from my doctor, and tried to function as all of my medical treatment was based on one radiologist's report.
The pain never hit so bad again, though I perpetually had pressure in my chest, and discomfort under my arm.
Until a few nights ago.
I was watching a movie with my son, relaxing on the couch, when I felt like I was hit with a sledgehammer in my left breast. My arm, the side of my chest, and underarm felt as if it had been tourniqueted too long and were about to explode.
I went to the er of a wonderful hospital, where they told me after another CT... That there was nothing in my breast- nor was there ANYTHING wrong with my heart. The nurse pressed on my back, right behind where my heart is, and I jumped- because of all the pain, I hadn't even realized it was super-sensitized.
Come to find out, the discs in my upper back are herniated, which has caused all of my symptoms, even though it was all on one side. C7-T2 disc damage is becoming more and more common as more people than ever are slumped over computers, though mine was from repetitive work with my arms.
My first advice would always be to check your heart- these are symptoms of a heart attack for women(even nausea). Obviously, always look into the danger of breast cancer. If you don't find anything there, though- take a look at your back!!! I'm stuck with this agony which no pill or shot has been able to touch for at least a few months, but if I wouldn't have been so terrified by my first diagnosis, and asked for more tests, the further damage to my discs would have been preventable.
Good luck, everyone!

Anonymous

To say that cancerous lumps are not painful is a myth. I was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer at 44 yrs old two yrs ago. My tumor was very painful! Please do not dismiss a possible malignacy just because you have pain. Get it checked out ASAP!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You're right - what I should have said is that "most cancerous lumps are not painful" - certainly not all. 

Thanks for pointing my mistake out.

I hope you health is good again-

Anonymous

Hello, I have had an off and on aches around my left Breast, under the armpit, upper arm and back. Had many checks, have been diagnosed with health anxiety and am awaiting CBT. Can anxiety be that powerful?

Many thanks

Anonymous

I received a callback on March 10th after my annual mammogram March 4th. They said they wanted me to call for an appointment to get an ultrasound on my right breast. I asked the girl that called if I should be worried. She said it could be my breast are dense. I don't know why I asked her, she is not a Doctor. I think if was just someone to talk to in a moment of horror. I called for Ultrasound appointment and the first available is not until March 23rd. I have tried to remain calm about this, but I have also had periods of crying and really just wanting to know if this is something to be concerned about. I also have had slight aching sensation in my right arm and right armpit for sometime. I honestly thought it was probably arthritis because of my age (65).

Hello. I too am waiting for an ultrasound on April 2 ( my mammogram was on March 13)and have also been having pain in my breast and underarm. You're appointment I believe was yesterday. Im praying everything was normal.

Anonymous

I too am 36 and my symptoms are exactly yours. Have a mammogram today.

Anonymous

I have now been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Fibromyalgia because of the armpit thing. I went through heart test gallore etc and scopes just not yet seen the gynecologist to check for cysts as I also get cramps at times. I sought the advice of a natural path who put me on triphala in high dosage for week then one at night and one in morning and until recently it was my miracle drug for stomach although off right now I may have to take again as stomach and nauseau back. I still have the armpit pain and it freaks me out too as I really don't feel like its from fibro but it could be anything dealing with auto immune issues which do run through my family. They just don't know enough about these diseases and they diagnose you by ruling everything else out. Have patience and persistence to let them know your not crazy. You really are feeling weird things in your body, likely food allergy, auto immune or something like that. Btw i am 43 this year so its about that getting older time I guess. :( natural herbs really do help though alot :) :) try a natural path store or magnesium too for nauseu but always consult on what your doing with doc and be careful as they are meds too just ones with very little side effects unlike prescriptions that btw did not do a damn thing for me. I do have pain killers for the dull ache and pain but try hard to avoid them.

Anonymous

My 25 year old daughter came to me today complaining about soreness and pain in the armpit area on the left side. She didn't feel any lumps but asked me to check for her, I also did not feel any lumps on either side but she did flinch when I pressed even slightly under the left armpit. She has always gotten swollen lymph nodes when her menses are approaching, but once her monthly ends they are usually gone. She has been unwell for about a week and is being treated by a GP for a bacterial infection with Azithromycin (sp?) and has been running a low grade fever for about 5 days now, today was her 3rd dose of the medication of 5. She has been very tired, a bit sick to her stomach with no vomiting, headachy and now the underarm pain. I know that colds can cause underarm pain due to enlarged lymph nodes, but my question is how long should she wait before approaching the doctor for this new pain. I don't believe the antibiotic is helping her and she may need another round or even a new medication, but she and I are very worried about this pain, and even more worried seeing that so many of your posters here have not found or been given any real answers from their providers. She is on a new Birth Control Pill after being on YAZ for about 5 years and she is struggling with all the side effects as well. I was thinking perhaps she should go off of the pill for a bit and let her body relax, she is not in a relationship at this time so we are not worried about pregnancy prevention. My sister lost her right breast at 53 years old due to Stage 1 breast cancer which they say was caught early, she felt an unusual lump one day and confirmed within 48 hours it was cancerous, though she did not have "pain" per say. This worries me, and wondered if waiting for a few days to see if the pain clears up as her illness subsides. Thanks for any information or guidance you can provide.

Thanks for your post. 

You're right - a virus is often the cause of swollen lymph nodes so this may be the case with her. A cancerous lump is not painful. 

I'm sorry she's in a lot of pain, but I do think she might have to wait several more days to see if the pain stops once she is feeling better. 

Antibiotics work on bacterial infections, they do not work for viruses. It's possible she may have a virus and a bacterial infection.  Do you know what the bacterial infection is? Some can take time to leave the body. Your daughter needs to discuss further or alternative treatment with her doctor if this pain doesn't leave. 

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :