Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide

ask: Pain under armpit and breast area.

By sandee

Hello, I'm 36 years old and a month ago started having stomach problems, nausea, dizziness, low night fevers..etc., I figured I had a stomach bug but at the same time began to feel pain under my armpit that spread to the breast area closest to the armpit. I asked my doctor about this pain, he said, he felt no lumps and that it was probably my lymph nodes bothering me as a result of the stomach bug and that it would go away soon. My dizziness got so bad I went to the ER one night and also complained to the ER doctor about the breast pain but he said he felt no lumps and told me not to worry about it. It's been a month, I am feeling a little better from my stomach although I still get dizzy after I eat and wake up nauseaus from time to time but the pain under my arm and breast is still there. I'm terrified, I saw another doctor and he's sending me for an ultrasound. What could be causing this pain for so long? One doctor said it could be my Lymph Nodes, the other said he wasn't sure, and the other one said it wasn't my lymph nodes! what can this be?

Anonymous

Hi, I'm 54 and had an ultrasound on my right breast. There was a syst that they feel is just fluid. I recheck in April. I have noticed last two days that my right breast and under arm are hurting. I have tried to chalk it up to activity done recently. Should I give this a few more weeks, see if pain goes away? Should I worry? Should I push ultrasound up? Thanks!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Have you had recent activity that may have caused this pain? I find that power yoga gives me rib pain quite a lot - strange! 

Most cysts in the breast are completely harmless so that's a good thing. However, I am a big proponent of moving things along sooner rather than later when possible - at least to ease your mind. 

If you have felt unwell in the last few weeks, your pain and underarm pain may be due to a virus than has caused swollen glands - that is quite common. 

Anonymous

Hi,
I am 52 soon to be 53. I have had breast and underarm pain for the last couple years. I told my doctor and the technician who did my mammogram. They did a ultrasound and all they came up with, was very dense breast. I am worried, my grandmother died of breast cancer. I was a young mother and never got to ask her what her symptoms were and how she got through it all before her death. I would not even have thought of it back in the day to ask her. I think she passed in 1983 or 84, so not so much available back then. It is a dull aching pain mostly under my arm , and at times it can be in my right breast. Any advice? I am very vigilant about getting my mammogram yearly. Thank you, and may God bless you!
Robin

Getting an ultrasound as well as a mammogram was a good idea. 

Dense breast tissue is often a problem for women because it's harder to see any changes in breast tissue. Keep up with this yearly testing and do self-breast checks.  While it's always concerning that a relative has died of breast cancer, remember that genetics only factor into about 8% of cases. Most women have no family connection. 

With regard to your pain, it's a good idea to ask to see a rhumatologist - you may have some kind of auto-immune condition like rheumatism or arthritis. 

Will you keep us posted?

Anonymous

I am so pleased I have found this site. I am 61, hand an early menopause and have had pain under my left breast around my rib area for a very long time. At one point I thought it was due to a fall several years ago when I sustained very bruised but not fractured ribs. I have had a mammogram which has come back clear and my GP checked for lumps of which he found none. This pain is pretty well constant, achy, dull, heavy and very uncomfortable. It has recently started to spread round to under my left arm but have no lumps there either. If my cat decides to jump on me my breasts are really tender where she stands.
I would really love to know exactly what is causing it and why.
This is the first page I have found with the related symptoms

Anonymous

I too have a pain in my right underarm area, but it did not start there. I had a pulling pain under my right breast in my rib area and than it has moved into my armpit. I just went to the doctor, she said it is very odd. I have had an ekg, blood work and now an ultrasound of my right side. No word back on the ultrasound but blood came back normal as did the ekg. I am 48 by the way. Bad on me but I have not had a mammogram yet, but I do have one scheduled. The doctor thinks it is my gallbladder, but I have not been nauseated. I have always had bowel problems. I too am worried about breast cancer my aunt had it. I will get back on site it my ultrasound shows anything. Good Luck to all - for not knowing and wondering is adding stress to our anxiety.

Anonymous

Anonymous

I'm 42 my mother past at 50 from breast cancer. I am having pain n left breast/ armpit about a year now its always at least aching but I use an ice pack on it most nights. To scared to go to Dr. Hurts to much for mammogram. Hoping someone can help with ideas.

Would you rather not detect breast cancer cure and get cured vs waiting until the last minute until it's too late. I hope you don't have kids and a husband because you obviously put procrastination before them.

Anonymous

You can have an ultrasound done on your breasts if you are too young for a mammogram like myself at 39 yrs. also like a person above said u can find a private practice and have a mammogram done yourself.