Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide

ask: Pain under armpit and breast area.

By sandee

Hello, I'm 36 years old and a month ago started having stomach problems, nausea, dizziness, low night fevers..etc., I figured I had a stomach bug but at the same time began to feel pain under my armpit that spread to the breast area closest to the armpit. I asked my doctor about this pain, he said, he felt no lumps and that it was probably my lymph nodes bothering me as a result of the stomach bug and that it would go away soon. My dizziness got so bad I went to the ER one night and also complained to the ER doctor about the breast pain but he said he felt no lumps and told me not to worry about it. It's been a month, I am feeling a little better from my stomach although I still get dizzy after I eat and wake up nauseaus from time to time but the pain under my arm and breast is still there. I'm terrified, I saw another doctor and he's sending me for an ultrasound. What could be causing this pain for so long? One doctor said it could be my Lymph Nodes, the other said he wasn't sure, and the other one said it wasn't my lymph nodes! what can this be?

Anonymous

I too am 36 and my symptoms are exactly yours. Have a mammogram today.

Anonymous

I have now been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Fibromyalgia because of the armpit thing. I went through heart test gallore etc and scopes just not yet seen the gynecologist to check for cysts as I also get cramps at times. I sought the advice of a natural path who put me on triphala in high dosage for week then one at night and one in morning and until recently it was my miracle drug for stomach although off right now I may have to take again as stomach and nauseau back. I still have the armpit pain and it freaks me out too as I really don't feel like its from fibro but it could be anything dealing with auto immune issues which do run through my family. They just don't know enough about these diseases and they diagnose you by ruling everything else out. Have patience and persistence to let them know your not crazy. You really are feeling weird things in your body, likely food allergy, auto immune or something like that. Btw i am 43 this year so its about that getting older time I guess. :( natural herbs really do help though alot :) :) try a natural path store or magnesium too for nauseu but always consult on what your doing with doc and be careful as they are meds too just ones with very little side effects unlike prescriptions that btw did not do a damn thing for me. I do have pain killers for the dull ache and pain but try hard to avoid them.

Anonymous

My 25 year old daughter came to me today complaining about soreness and pain in the armpit area on the left side. She didn't feel any lumps but asked me to check for her, I also did not feel any lumps on either side but she did flinch when I pressed even slightly under the left armpit. She has always gotten swollen lymph nodes when her menses are approaching, but once her monthly ends they are usually gone. She has been unwell for about a week and is being treated by a GP for a bacterial infection with Azithromycin (sp?) and has been running a low grade fever for about 5 days now, today was her 3rd dose of the medication of 5. She has been very tired, a bit sick to her stomach with no vomiting, headachy and now the underarm pain. I know that colds can cause underarm pain due to enlarged lymph nodes, but my question is how long should she wait before approaching the doctor for this new pain. I don't believe the antibiotic is helping her and she may need another round or even a new medication, but she and I are very worried about this pain, and even more worried seeing that so many of your posters here have not found or been given any real answers from their providers. She is on a new Birth Control Pill after being on YAZ for about 5 years and she is struggling with all the side effects as well. I was thinking perhaps she should go off of the pill for a bit and let her body relax, she is not in a relationship at this time so we are not worried about pregnancy prevention. My sister lost her right breast at 53 years old due to Stage 1 breast cancer which they say was caught early, she felt an unusual lump one day and confirmed within 48 hours it was cancerous, though she did not have "pain" per say. This worries me, and wondered if waiting for a few days to see if the pain clears up as her illness subsides. Thanks for any information or guidance you can provide.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for your post. 

You're right - a virus is often the cause of swollen lymph nodes so this may be the case with her. A cancerous lump is not painful. 

I'm sorry she's in a lot of pain, but I do think she might have to wait several more days to see if the pain stops once she is feeling better. 

Antibiotics work on bacterial infections, they do not work for viruses. It's possible she may have a virus and a bacterial infection.  Do you know what the bacterial infection is? Some can take time to leave the body. Your daughter needs to discuss further or alternative treatment with her doctor if this pain doesn't leave. 

Hi Susan,
My daughter was originally diagnosed with an URI, and took her last antibiotic pill yesterday. She had also taken alive for the pain under her arm and used some cold compresses, in the morning yesterday the pain was not as significant. We are hoping as she was feeling a bit better yesterday that the pain under her arm will begin to subside. Thank you for you help, if anything changes, I'll return to let you know what course is taken to help with the problem.
Thanks again.

Anonymous

I am sixty years old and have noticed tenderness n the arm pit right breast area for some time now and had a mammogram done! The mammogram came out normal!! For a few days now I have felt sick to my stomach but not enough to get worried about!! Then last night I had the worse pain in that area that caused some weakness in my right arm! this lasted about an hour! It is the morning after and it still hurts as before the incident last night but now when I raise my right arm I can feel the pain!!!!!

Thanks for contacting us! 

Please see a doctor about this.  You may have some kind of nerve damage, muscle pain or even arthritic pain that is causing this and it may have nothing to do with your breast at all.  You could even have an infection. 

You may need physical therapy but your doctor can help with a diagnosis here.  

Anonymous

Hi,
Im only 17 and ive been feing the exact same under my right arm and the pain works towards my right arm. Sometimes the pain comes randomly in the middle of the nighr and wake up and will stay with me for about half an hour. Just a bit worried. I know im really young but anybody reccomend anything?
thankyou!

We can't recommend anything since we don't know what's wrong. You may have some kind of strain - do you play sports?

You need to see a doctor for a diagnosis.

Anonymous

I have pain in my right breast and underarm im 32 and had an ultrasound done last year the doctor couldn't do a mammogram as my breasts are too dense......the pain over the last two weeks is excruciating and even sore to touch im afraid the doctors are missing something I lost my friend at 36 to breastcancer :(

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :