Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide

ask: Pain under armpit and breast area.

By sandee

Hello, I'm 36 years old and a month ago started having stomach problems, nausea, dizziness, low night fevers..etc., I figured I had a stomach bug but at the same time began to feel pain under my armpit that spread to the breast area closest to the armpit. I asked my doctor about this pain, he said, he felt no lumps and that it was probably my lymph nodes bothering me as a result of the stomach bug and that it would go away soon. My dizziness got so bad I went to the ER one night and also complained to the ER doctor about the breast pain but he said he felt no lumps and told me not to worry about it. It's been a month, I am feeling a little better from my stomach although I still get dizzy after I eat and wake up nauseaus from time to time but the pain under my arm and breast is still there. I'm terrified, I saw another doctor and he's sending me for an ultrasound. What could be causing this pain for so long? One doctor said it could be my Lymph Nodes, the other said he wasn't sure, and the other one said it wasn't my lymph nodes! what can this be?

Anonymous

I'm 21 and have been having the same problem since July. A week ago I have finaly decided to go to a doctor. I've done blood and urin tests which came back fine. I've done rtg of my spine, ribs and lungs, and it was also completely fine. After that I've been sent to a gastroenterologist. He said it's acid reflux for which he gave me pills and said to come back in a month for gastroscopy. I left wondering what does it have to do with the pain under armit, but it might explain pain under breast and my doctor told me it's all connected and I just left it at that. A week later I'm still in pain, but the pills helped with acid reflux symptoms a bit. I went to bed and the area under my armpit and my left breast was really swollen and it hurt more. I think it was swollen 'cause I got menstruation the next day. Tomorrow morning everything looked completely normal. I went to see my doctor and told him that it still hurts and he sent me for an ultrasound of the breast and that he thinks it's psychological. I told him if I'm at the point where my own doctor doesn't believe me I don't know what else should I do, 'cause I know something's wrong and that it hurts. My breast ultrasound appointment is in a week and I think they won't really find anything from reading all of the answers above. So being left on my own to find out what it is now. I've stumbled upon a woman in her mid 30s yesterday with the same pain and she has also done all the tests and nothing. She said she thinks it might be an enlarged spleen. So I read the symptoms and all are not there, but it's the closest one so far. So I'm gonna try and beg my doctor for a spleen ultrasound, he probably won't let me take x-rays yet, 'cause I've done three a week ago, the same reason he didn't sent me for a mammography. Because of all the radiation and I think I'm too young for a mammography. If in the end I somehow manage to find out what it is I'll let you know.

Anonymous

I am 38 yrs old and I have had pain under my armpit into the breast tissue there. Its not harp pain just a dull pain. I have asked to have a mammogram but the clinic refuses to do so.... Why? They said I am under 40 yrs old, I hav no lumps, and I have no family history.... If I waned one, shouldn at least have the right to get one done?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Of course you have the right!

If you want a mammogram done, I suggest you make an appointment on your own and not through your doctor. You do not need a referral (prescription) note from him or her. You can do so privately by calling a clinic yourself and setting it up. Insurance may not pay for it though, that's something you need to call your insurance company about. 

Keep us posted!

Anonymous

I'm 35 and I got the same pain under my armpit and I get pain in the hand to on that side I've had it it over a month the doctor did not know what it was and sent me home I still have this pain if you find out let me know so I know what to do thanks

Anonymous

i m having lumps under my arms but i don't have any pain.... is there any remedies for reduce the lumps underarms

Until you know what these lumps are, you will not know how to treat them. Any lumps like these should be evaluated by a doctor as soon as possible.  I hope you can make an appointment soon.

Anonymous

hi
i having pain very much under my right breast few weeks ago. i gone for the check to the doctor. and done x-ray. now i dont have the pain but my doctor told me that to go and check do the x-ray and ultrasound. she said one more thing but not clearly, she said i think there is something under your arms.
now i am scare and feeling very scare and sad.
do you have any idea what my doctor might be saying Susan ?

Thanks

I've no idea what you doctor may have been saying, sorry. I don't want to try to interpret something when I wasn't there. It may have been something about nodes but you need to ask her. 

An ultrasound is better than an xray for breast imaging (was it a mammogram xray you had?) so do that and see what the results say. Armpits are an important part of breast care - this may be what the doctor was referring to.  I wish I could be of more help but call her and ask her what she was referring to, ok?

Anonymous

I have had a weird pain under my arm like my arm pit. I thought maybe it might be the chemicals in my deoderant. 2 days later I got a sore throat so now I'm scared and think it might be something more serious. If anyone has any suggestions please write back.

You may have a virus, probably harmless and you'll feel ok within the week. But when we have a virus, our lymph nodes sometimes swell. We have many nodes in our arm pits so this may be what is going on with you. 

If the pain continues after you feel better, see your doctor, but I suspect it will subside when you feel better.