ask: Painful gases during periods

Hi,
For the last 2 months I've started to really suffer during my periods. Apart from the terrible pain and cramps that I've always had (always used painkillers) now I'm having gases as well, which are so painful that they make it hard for me to move and breath. This happens more frequently in the first two days of the periods and it gets more rare in the other days. In the first I can't even sleep because cramps will wake me up every half an our at least :(. Another specific I've noticed is that now I get menstruating cramps and low back pain 4 or 5 days before my periods come. Also, it's getting harder to have bowel movements. Is it something serious that I should visit the doctor or is it something usual that happens to everyone and passes with time?
I'd really appreciate your answer to my concern,
Nora

Hi Nora

I'm sorry your periods have recently become so painful.

Many women experience intestinal discomfort during their periods. Some get diarrhea, others become constipated. And gas can be a problem for women too.

The first two days of our period is often the hardest, with cramps and bleeding at their heaviest so this is why you are in more pain on these days. By day 4, our period is beginning to wind down.

Here is a good resource for you that includes intestinal and gas problems (and diet tips)
http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/premenstrual-syndrome

Here's another article on how to combat this: http://www.empowher.com/pms/content/pms-causing-my-weight-gain?page=0,0

Nora, if things get worse, it might be time to talk to your doctor about other treatments and an exam as this isn't something you should have to deal with on a monthly basis.

I hope this helps and thanks for writing
~Susan

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: