Painful intercourse, Vaginal dryness and Poor sleep

By Anonymous February 18, 2011 - 8:25am

I'm 62 years old. For the last 3 years I have had painful intercourse, vaginal dryness and poor sleep.

I've gone to an a Gynecologist and tried different things, but no help to me.

Have an appointment with HRC Medical to talk about Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy. I'm confused with the responses, good and bad.

Hi Anonymous and Susan,
I'm sorry it has been hard for your to get a straight answer about bioidentical hormones. I'd be happy to answer any of your questions.
Dr. Miller

Dear Anonymous

Thanks so much for your post and for finding EmpowHER.

In reading your post, it seems like you are a bit "typical" of a 60-something woman with your symptoms. Saying "typical" like that rubs me the wrong way but what I mean is that many women in your situation suffer very similar symptoms at this age.

Bio identical hormone replacement is lauded by many and shunned by others so whether it's the right thing for you is hard to say. Have you tried regular HRT? If so, is it correct to say it didn't work for you?

Have you tried black cohosh or other herbal supplements? When you say you tried "different things" can you tell us what these things are?

You have every right to try bio identicals if nothing else works (or just because you want to) but we cannot tell you if it's the right thing for you. When you talk about reading various opinions on them, do you mean from our website? We have many threads on the subject but if you are familiar with them, I don't want to link them all to you. Let me know if you need directions to these threads.

I hope to hear back from you!