Pancreas problem or something else??

By September 1, 2011 - 9:33am

Hello, I am 45. My gallbladder was previously removed..just to rule that out. I have been having several uncomfortable/painfull symptoms for the past 6 mo and not sure what to make of them. I have..daily..pain in the upper right abdomen..under breast bone. The past week or two I have been having internal type pain in the mid-back area also. Within 15-20 minutes of eating..more often than not..I get terrible stomach pain and cramps followed by a trip to the bathroom with stools that float and have what looks like fatty deposits in them. I do not eat meat. I also have been experiencing extreme bloating in the upper abdominal area from under the breasts down..not sure what to make of all this...would greatly appreciate any comments or shared stories of similar problems. Thank you, chippi

Hi Chippi

With so many symptoms (bloating, odd stool, pain and cramping) it sounds like some part of your digestive system is not working properly or even that you are - or have become - allergic to something.

It could also be something to do with your pancreas, as you asked. Symptoms of pancreatitis include:

Severe pain in the center of the upper abdomen that:
Sometimes spreads into the upper back
Is often made worse by eating, walking, or lying down on your back
Is less severe in chronic pancreatitis, with a gradual onset that may be tolerable for weeks
Nausea and vomiting
Jaundice (yellowing of the skin)
Shock —a severe change in the body's vital processes (eg, rapid but weak pulse, rapid and shallow respiration, and low blood pressure) (in severe, acute cases)
Unexplained weight loss
Symptoms of diabetes :
Increased thirst
Increased urination

You can read more here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/pancreatitis

As you can see, back pain is included in the symptoms.

chippi, this could be something serious or something that can be healed in a week but I would not wait any longer - this has been going on for 6 months!! Please put a call into your doctor straight away as you really do need to be seen as soon as possible. Don't put this off.

Please keep us posted!

Susan, Thank you for the quick reply. I did call and make an appt. to see a gastro doctor at a medical center with a very good reputation..about an hour from my home. I do not want to trust this to our local doctors as I feel they are a bit outdated. The appt. is in 18 days..will keep you updated..Thank you again...Blessings, chippi

HERWriter Guide (reply to chippi)

Hi again chippi

I'm sorry you have to wait a few weeks but am very happy you made an appointment- good for you!

Best of luck and I'll be waiting to hear how it went!

Hello again Susan, I was going through some old medical reports for previous tests and found one from 2006 that stated I had a small hepatic hemangioma or cyst..wonder if this possibly has anthing to do with this. I did notice the other day when I had a glass of red wine..the pain in my mid-back area got really bad..just curious. I was in sobriety for 11 yrs. and began drinking..not heavily..again last year. Thank you again Susan..do appreciate your input. chippi