Paranoid pregnancy question

By April 21, 2010 - 7:11am

I tend to have a normal, heavy 5-6 day period except that this month it came four days early and was (is?) very light, the first day (Sunday 4/ 18) was possibly a medium flow and then a very light flow (4/19) and then the third day almost nothing. A week ago I had sex, protected, we used a condom and he did not ejaculate during the act.
I enjoy sex, but afterward I get very paranoid that something might have gone wrong and am therefor pregnant. Is it possible that I have psyched myself out and that is why I have had an irregular period this month or is it something I should be more worried about?

Hi anics

I think your period sounds fairly normal. Periods can differ, out of the blue and sometimes are early or late for no known reason. Since you had protected sex, it's sounds like you are having a real period.

I know it's hard not to be paranoid about pregnancy but you will ultimately have to trust your birth control (if you feel you may want to try something else, talk to your doctor about your options) and relax after sex. Birth control is supposed to be all about being worry free!

Once you see that your birth control continues to work well (and I assume it has never failed you) you'll learn to trust it. Are you fairly new to sex and/or birth control? You seem to be doing a great, responsible job. Trust yourself and your birth control and as long as you use it correctly, every time, your risks are very minimal.

What do you think?

Thanks so much! I'm 25 and re-entering the world of sex. It's been a few years since I was in a sexual relationship and I'm just starting back into it. I'm definitely going to schedule a visit to my GP to talk about going on some form of the pill. I seem unable to really release while having sex. I'm always keeping a little bit of myself reserved and detached and although I enjoy it I know that I should be enjoying it more. I'm pretty sure most of it stems from my constant worry about something going wrong and becoming pregnant.

Thanks so much for the advice and the reassurance! I guess like anything else I have to build up my comfort and confidence.