pcos and birth control

By Anonymous December 17, 2015 - 11:22pm

Hi there! I have a few questions about my pcos and my birth control! I have been taking combination pills for 3 years now and it's the same pill I didn't change from different 'brands'. Is it recommended for me to switch birth controls soon? I have been taking birth control to help get my periods on track because of my pcos and yes it works! I've been thinking lately and I looked up more about pcos, and it says that women are usually overweight and I only weigh 150 pounds and I am 5'10" tall and I am 19 years old. So I am not at all overweight. My question is; does this affect my condition of pcos more or less than women who ARE overweight? I am sexually and my boyfriend and I always use condoms and I never miss a pill so Since I had irregular periods before the pill meaning I didn't ovulate and since being on the pill and not ovulating, my chances of pregnancy in this instance must be very low as well too, correct? I do not want to get pregnant now. I have so many questions that I want to ask but I don't have a family doctor so going to the doctor is complicated and time consuming because I need sit in the emergency room. So any information nyou could give would be so awesome and much appreciated! Even links to certain helpful articles would be great! I would like anyone to comment on this to get as much feedback as possible!

These Asks are generally answered by Moderators so you may not get any feedback but if other readers see this post and can contribute, we hope they will.

There is no need to change your brand of birth control. The active ingredients in most pills are the same.

As far as your weight is concerned, you certainly sound on the slim side but women with PCOS come in all shapes and sizes. While some do battle their weight and it's a common symptom, it's not a sign that something is different with you. At 19, it's common to be slim. Not everyone with PCOS is over-weight.

The birth control pill is up to 99% effective when taken correctly and you seem to be doing that, as well as using condoms. There is no real need for condoms if neither of you have an STD/STI but it's fine to use them if you feel like it.

You can read more on PCOS here: http://www.empowher.com/polycystic-ovarian-syndrome/content/polycystic-ovarian-syndrome-pcos

Planned Parenthood is an excellent source of information and for low cost health care.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Guide