PCOS and getting pregnant

By June 2, 2015 - 4:08pm

My husband and I recently decided to try to have a baby. I realize with have had PCOS for about 6 years now that it could happen immediately or it could take years so we decided to try to start now in the process. I visited my OB/GYN (who by the way is a replacement for my real doctor who recently moved to a different state) she told me to start taking pre-natal vitamins for 3 months while taking my birth control and then after 3 months just go off my birth control. I'm terrified of all of my PCOS issues flaring up due to just going off birth contract cold turkey. I asked about metformin or any other medication I can take so that it doesn't happen and she told me to wait to see if I get a period in the first 3 months. Does this make any sense? I'm going back to see another doctor at that practice tomorrow and then another ob/gyn at the beginning of July but I just don't feel like that is going to be the best option for me... Any advice?

This is really up to you, it's your body and your choice. 

I don't think her suggestion is unreasonable though, it makes sense to try to regulate your cycle and then try for pregnancy.  However, since metformin has good results in helping women with PCOS to maintain a pregnancy and deal with possible insulin issues (that women with PCOS) can deal with, I also understand where you are coming from. 

You can try it her way first but you could be close to a year in conceiving but even a woman without PCOS  can take that long. 

So if timing is not an issue, you can try it her way or you can ask for metformin and see where that takes you. 

Either way, good luck and I hope you get very good news soon! 

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Guide