period and pregnant at the same time??

I was just wondering if you could explain to me how it's possible to have a regular period while you're pregnant. I just doesn't seem logical to me. When you have your period, your uterine wall is shedding, right? and that's where the baby implants, right? So I don't see how the baby can live if what it's attached to is shedding every month. Please explain?
D. Smith

Welcome to EmpowHER, Spotting during the first trimester can sometimes be normal. But should always be checked by your OBGYN. Bleeding during the second and third trimester, can be a sign of complication. Many conditions can be the cause, such as a miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, placental abruption and many other. You need to discuss this with your OBGYN and perhaps he might suggest having imaging test done. Hope this was helpful?