Period late due to pregnancy or high stress?

By Anonymous March 14, 2014 - 11:18am

The last time I had sex was February 13, and at that time we used a condom and it slipped a bit, but did not break. There was brief genital contact beforehand, and that is what I'm concerned about. I was also in the middle of my period, and to my knowledge I wasn't ovulating (I have on average a 28-30 day cycle and my period is usually very prompt. I began my period on February 10.) He did not ejaculate and I had no contact with semen, but I'm still worried at the possibility, however slim, that I may be pregnant. I am experiencing no pregnancy symptoms whatsoever, except for the delayed period.

On the other hand, a couple days ago I was thrown into a high-stress situation coming home for spring break. I recently learned my father has terminal cancer, and I've been stressing about that for a week now. We're currently packing to move by the end of the month, I have to make arrangements, and I have tough decisions ahead of me for the future to come. In addition, I haven't been able to concentrate on my homework or studying for midterms (two of them are upper-division physics classes), and I've been worried about my grades. Being stressed about my period being late doesn't help matters. Could this be why my period is late?

I know people don't get pregnant this easily, but since my period is a few days late I've been worried. I plan to have a pregnancy test done on Monday, but until then I'm just going to be waiting. What are the chances I could be pregnant? How do I lower my stress levels in spite of this?

Note: If it helps, the last time my period was a week late was winter break, after having no sex whatsoever. So maybe this could just be attributed to going home for a long period of time.

Firstly, I am very sorry about your Dad's diagnosis - how difficult for him and for all of you.

With regard to your period being late, yes, stress can absolutely delay it. Your risk of pregnancy is low but the only way you can ease your mind and know for sure is to take a test. Please keep us posted and stay well.

Thank you, Susan. I've been flipping back and forth between "there's no way I could be pregnant" and "there is a possibility, what if..." for a while now. I'm leaning more towards not pregnant, but I'll definitely take a test to be sure. This has just come up at the perfectly wrong time, haha.