Personal trainers

By EmpowHER February 14, 2008 - 8:45am

Do you need a personal trainer to stay motivated when on an exercise plan? If not, what do you use as inspiration to stay on track and reach your goals? A buddy? Reward system? Something else?

Lisa, Thanks for your post. Would like to learn more about your program. Went to the Web site and it looks like people take the pill about 30 minutes before meals to help them feel fuller. Was wondering if there have been any clinical trials on the product? Also, with regard to your weight loss, have you been exercising in conjunction with taking the pill? If so, what was your exercise program? Thanks again.

Thank you so much. I really had no idea about this procedure or even what it was. I definitively didn't know that there was stuff in the band itself. I guess I was picturing one of those rubber wristbands and they some how slid it on your stomach. I feel so foolish.
So at the same time I am hearing all these really good things about the lap band, but are there any bad things that are known to happen? Luckily I live about 5 miles from Penn State Milton Hershey Hospital and they have a center just focusing on this procedure so iI wouldn't have to travel, but have you heard any bad?

amiep, Your question was forwarded to a well-respected bariatric center in Arizona. Kijuana Wright, Bariatric Surgery Coordinator for Scottsdale
Healthcare had this to say.

"We have many patients who successfully carry healthy pregnancies after adjustable gastric banding surgery. Typically, we would remove all or most of the saline from the band so that the caloric intake would not be restricted prior to pregnancy. Careful meal planning and consultation with your obstetrician will allow appropriate weight gain to support fetal growth and development. With banding surgery, the recovery time is minimal. Many patients resume normal activity (with a lifting restriction) in approximately 5-7 days."

Did you find this information helpful?

Until Kelley (and others!) share their personal experience with gastric bypass and gastric banding, I found some information on MedlinePlus.gov and Mayo Clinic's websites to answer a few of ampiep's questions.

1. Mayo Clinic: Lap Band ("gastric banding") is a safer surgical procedure and healing time is faster than gastric bypass. You can expect to be in the hospital for 1-2 days (or up to 3-5 days) after surgery. The healing time for your stomach is 2-3 days (not sure what this means!).
Cleveland Clinic: You can expect to resume normal activities within 1-2 weeks.

I'd be interested to hear from women who actually had this procedure done to see how quickly they were back on their feet, taking care of children! Also consider the side effects of surgery after the "recovery time", which can last 3-6 months (listed below).

Mayo Clinic: You may experience one or more of the following changes as your body reacts to the rapid weight loss in the first three to six months:
* Body aches
* Feeling tired, as if you have the flu
* Feeling cold
* Dry skin
* Hair thinning and hair loss
* Mood changes

(...but isn't that exciting to think of "rapid weight loss"?! plus, I would assume that you may already have some of these side effects with excess weight)

2. Q: My doctor is "making the surgery seem like it is easier than it really is".

Do you feel like your doctor is listening to your concerns and really answering your questions? Don't hesitate to get a second opinion; you can still "stick with" your primary doctor, but talking to another doctor about a surgical procedure may not be a bad idea.

3. Q: How much would I potentially lose?

Mayo Clinic: Within first 2 years of gastric bypass surgery, you can expect to lose 50-60% of your excess weight; gastric banding weight loss is slightly less. Additionally, other conditions that are associated with obesity may improve or resolve, including:
* Type 2 (adult-onset) diabetes
* High blood pressure
* High blood cholesterol
* Obstructive sleep apnea
* Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

4. Q: How would this surgery affect my future choices on getting pregnant? I am wondering that my husband and I chose to become pregnant again that I would not be able to properly eat the supply the right nutrition for the baby. Any advice would help.

There was no mention of becoming pregnant during the 1-2 years that you would have the lap band, on any credible health sites I reviewed. What did your doctor say about this? Would you need to have the lap band removed before you become pregnant? (I assume your insurance would have something to say about this, too?) Be sure to check with these sources, and share what you learned with us...other women can learn from you, too!

Lastly, MedlinePlus.gov has AMAZING resources on lap band procedures...there is even a video of one (or, you can click on "View Transcript" to read about the procedure, instead of watching the taped surgery).

MedlinePlus.gov (searched "lap band")

I sent a personal message to our moderator Kelley - she has had the lap band procedure and is probably your best bet for a real life experience of that particular procedure. I'm sure she'll be happy to respond to you shortly!

Congratulations on taking the first steps to a healthier life!

I was told by my doctor last week that she wants me to get the lap band. She said that it was safer and that the healing time is faster that gastric bypass. The thing is I have three children and a life to run. I am so concerned about getting back on my feet and not to mention I am feeling like she is making this surgery seem easier than it really is. Do any of you have advice on this? How much would I potentially lose? How would this surgery affect my future choices on getting pregnant? I am wondering that my husband and I chose to become pregnant again that I would not be able to properly eat the supply the right nutrition for the baby. Any advice would help.

(reply to amiep)

Hi Amiep:

You ask great questions. I had the lap-band done 4 years ago by Dr. Ortiz in TJ Mexico. The following is my recovery experience: I had the lap band Laparoscoply put in on a Friday morning at 10am and by 2pm that day I was up and walking around. I spent one night in the hospital (Fri night) and I went back to my hotel room in TJ Sat night. Got up Sunday morning drove home to Phoenix (about 5 hours in the car). I was a little sore around my stomach area for about a week but was able to go back to work on Tuesday. The trend for this surgery is going to out-patient. Most patients typically only spend 1 night in the hospital for this procedure. I was 5' 8" and was 260 pound and lost 100 pounds over a year and half. I did run into problems with my lap-band in that I did not have place or doctor in my city who would do the band adjustments for me so I had to travel to TJ, Mexico every time I needed an adjustment and that is the key to success with this procedure. You must have your doctor or a place where you can get frequent adjustments to your lap-band. That is they will put fluid into or take some fluid out of your band. Because I was not able to get frequent adjustments I had problems with my band and ended up having it removed last Feb. I am currently considering having another band put back in this year but now have access to a fill center where I can have adjustments made as frequently as needed. As for pregnancy-those are questions you should ask your doctor and let me do a little checking this week and see if I can point in the right direction to research your questions about pregnancy. I do know when you get the lap-band they have specially formulated vitamins now (vitaband) for people who have a band which are very helpful. On Monday I am going to be publishing a two part blog detailing my lap-band experience-please check it out. Even with the problems I encountered I am a big advocate of this procedure. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to me and I will be happy to relate my own experiences.

Congrats on 100 lbs weight loss, that is amazing. I know you have gained some back but you'll get that off in no time if you keep up with your goals. Well done!

Alison, I agree completely! Portion control is out of control! I cannot believe what is being served in restaurants - simply enormous amounts of food that should serve two or three people are being served to just one.

I have incorporated a few tricks for myself. I serve food on salad plates that are smaller than dinner plates. And I often have soup before dinner, as an hors d'oeuvre. When I eat soup, I tend to eat 50% less of my main meal than if I don't. I don't do 'seconds' anymore - if I wait 10 minutes, I find I am full after just one serving. And water - lots of water! Hunger and thirst can be confusing to our brain. We are often actually thirsty when we think we are hungry. 16 oz of water often cures us of that fake hunger.

I also eat a high protein breakfast which takes a long time to break down and keeps me fuller longer.

I honestly think we have forgotten what a portion really is. We need to make a fist and our meat/chicken/fish portion should be no bigger. Filling up on soup and veggies is great.

My advice on eating is that we should not eat until we are full (because our brains and stomachs are on different wavelengths as to what 'full' is for at least 15 minutes after we eat). We need to eat until we are not hungry. There is a big difference!

Ladies-You really hit upon a subject near and dear to my heart. I had a lap-band put in 4 years ago, lost 100 pounds, but had to have it out a year ago. I got an exercise buddy, my wonderful neighbor across the street which kept me motivated to walk 5 days a week. I have really been struggling with portion control over the last year and have gained 40 pounds back. I feel like I'm eating the right things but my dinner portions are way too big. I feel like it's mental eating, I know I'm not hungrey still but I just keep shoveling it in because there is some thing that feels so good to just keep eating. I love your suggestions above. I would be thrilled if I could just loose 30 pounds. If my weight continues to creep up I may have to go and get the lap band put back in so I am going to really work hard on portion size and keep exercising. Thanks for the great tips.

Healthy Eating