Physician gave me a flu shot from last years supply

My physician stated that an abundance of flu vaccines were available last year and the manufactures are sending those vaccines to be given for this years flu. Is this true?

Hi Anonymous

Thanks for your question - it's a really good one !

There may well be an abundance of flu shots this year due to the panic over H1N1. There certainly were far too many last year and millions were destroyed.

As long as flu shots are still good (have not expired) and were stored properly, I don't see why they could not still be used.

However, if they are coming from last years batch (09) then I believe the FDA has a June 30th (of 2010) expiration date on them, when it comes to the H1N1 batches. However, many other kinds of flu shots (Tamiflu, and the 'regular' flu shot for example) are often extended by the FDA.

Do you know what kind of flu shot you got? There are many kinds. If not, check with your doctor and then check with the FDA to make sure it has not expired. I'm sure it's fine, I cannot imagine a doctor taking a risk like this although one never knows....

Here is where you can begin your search for expiration dates once you know what kind of shot you had : http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/publichealthfocus/ucm154962.htm

Let me know if this helps you!

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines