Pinched nerve or dvt?

By March 30, 2015 - 2:11am

I am 27 years old femal and I have a tingling feeling like a pinched nerve in my left leg at the calf. It's not hot or warm or swollen. It happens when I walk and I get pain of something like a a metal straw is stuck in my calf. ( not sure how to explain it) could this be a DVt? Or a pinched nerve? How do I tell the difference?

Hello Bathsheva,

A pinched nerve occurs when too much pressure is applied to a nerve by surrounding tissues, such as bones, cartilage, muscles or tendons. This pressure disrupts the nerve's function, causing pain, tingling, numbness or weakness.

A herniated disk in your lower spine, for example, may put pressure on a nerve root, causing pain that radiates down the back of your leg.

The most frequently recommended treatment for pinched nerve is rest for the affected area. Most people get relief within a few days or weeks.

DVT or deep vein thrombosis is a serious condition that requires medical attention. It occurs when a blood clot or thrombus forms in one or more of the deep veins in your body, usually in your legs.

Noticeable symptoms include swelling in the leg and pain which pain often starts in your calf and can feel like cramping or a soreness.

Bathsheva, any further concerns should be addressed to your physician.