ask: Pins and Needles Toes: Sciatica, Circulatory or Other Condition?

Every now and then, for no apparent reason (emphasis on "apparent"), I feel an annoying, painful, pins and needles sensation in my big toe. It's usually only one toe, usually my left big toe, that gets this.

Doing a search online, I found all sorts of possibilities. But, I really didn't fit any of the symptoms. My symptoms are momentary, sudden, annoying and painful. Of the possible causes, a lower back problem fit the best.

Has anyone ever felt anything like this? Did you consult a chiropractor or neurologist? Which helped?

Anonymous

Maybe caused by inflammation of tissues surrounding the nerves which could be caused by overuse or sitting or standing or moving abnormally. Also switching up shoes or new shoes or bad insoles on a particular pair or even going barefoot when not used to it. Undue or abnormal stress on soft tissues surrounding nerves can cause them to swell which can pinch nerves or restrict blood flow in which case a lack of blood could cause the pins and needles feeling. I recommend RICE and NSAIDS for short term relief. RICE stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, (Ace bandage, etc.) and Elevation along with some Ibuprofen or Naproxen (Aleve and or Advil). Generic is fine. I don't recommend doctors as a first choice though unless you feel it serious. Your body has a great way of healing on it's own if you don't abuse it and treat it right.

Anonymous

Hello im 50 diabetic had my little toe removed about 8 years ago wasnt diabetic any way the last week my left big toe feels like i have a needle or like a piece of glass on the outside of my toe right in back of my toenail but on the side hurts really bad sometime anyone know what it could be its not red or anything

Anonymous

I also have just recently started with light non severe symptoms but now this pass two days was something else first the area under my testicle had a throbbingg pain for several hours, slept a little to wake up with left testicle hurting with swollen in that area. The next day woke up without no pain at all until night fall. Pain of throbbing and a burning sensation on my lower back, with my feet,legs,hands,toes were all have this numb needle stabbing pain switching to a very severe electric like pain that's been at it for awhile now the pain is move to the center of the back with still all the same pain in hands,feet,legs toes were all having burning pain.. Don't know what's causing this

Anonymous

Hi I have the exact same problem as you. I am a 42 yr old nurse and work 12 hour shifts. So I ignored it for awhile. Recently I went to a neurologist and had an EMG done which is painful because they send electrical shocks through you and measure it. She was able to tell me I did not have peripheral neuropathy. I had a MRI of my lower back and cervical back but didn't find anything. Nothing else to check I was told. I do know that people have been harmed by certain antibiotics called quinilones. I had a bad reaction to Avelox in the past. I have no answers for you but if u find any let me know. My pins come randomly and they are in my left big toe.

Anonymous

Hi I had a car accident and a few days later I started to get pins and needles in both my big toes can anyone think what the reason for this starting could be thanks

Anonymous

I get pain for days or a week at a time. I suspected Gout. doctor did a blood and urine test or two and sure enough... my Uric Acid level was very high. The pain feels worse when cold and a hortible itchy feeling may start in too

Anonymous

I s

I thought my problem was the lower back, but not all started on my big left toe.
Very interesting shows the scope of a lesion in the big toe, how that can affect with time with your ankle, lower back, and even neck and jaw.

Anonymous

I see these posts are a couple years old...So I hope someone will still respond.

I have been having similar problems with my big toes. Both of them. I am a 22 year old female. It started a couple years ago. If I stand a certain way, I will get this shooting burning/tingling pain in my toe. Also, if i press on the bend of my big toes, then same thing happens. I thought this might be an exposed nerve or something? Anyone know what may be causing this??

Anonymous

get your thyroid tested, its amazing how many things relate back to an underactive thyroid

Anonymous

HI,
i occasionally get a weird sensation on my 2nd toe on my right foot. It feels almost like an electric current is being sent through the toe, but only the toe not the leg or the back or anything, and only that one specific toe. i feel it mostly when i walk, no matter what kind of shoe i am wearing or when i am not wearing any shoes at all. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on in my toe?

Sciatica

Sciatica Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :