Sciatica

Sciatica Guide

ask: Pins and Needles Toes: Sciatica, Circulatory or Other Condition?

By samiam

Every now and then, for no apparent reason (emphasis on "apparent"), I feel an annoying, painful, pins and needles sensation in my big toe. It's usually only one toe, usually my left big toe, that gets this.

Doing a search online, I found all sorts of possibilities. But, I really didn't fit any of the symptoms. My symptoms are momentary, sudden, annoying and painful. Of the possible causes, a lower back problem fit the best.

Has anyone ever felt anything like this? Did you consult a chiropractor or neurologist? Which helped?

Anonymous

I get pain for days or a week at a time. I suspected Gout. doctor did a blood and urine test or two and sure enough... my Uric Acid level was very high. The pain feels worse when cold and a hortible itchy feeling may start in too

Anonymous

I suggest to read this article:
[http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CFEQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Foptfunction.com%2Fsource%2Fcontent%2FHallux_Limitus_Rigidus.pdf&ei=9cYVT8SONqnA0AH70tWhAw&usg=AFQjCNGBaL4q5U3rzAPnF44mIiJfokMpig]

I thought my problem was the lower back, but not all started on my big left toe.
Very interesting shows the scope of a lesion in the big toe, how that can affect with time with your ankle, lower back, and even neck and jaw.

Anonymous

I see these posts are a couple years old...So I hope someone will still respond.

I have been having similar problems with my big toes. Both of them. I am a 22 year old female. It started a couple years ago. If I stand a certain way, I will get this shooting burning/tingling pain in my toe. Also, if i press on the bend of my big toes, then same thing happens. I thought this might be an exposed nerve or something? Anyone know what may be causing this??

Anonymous

get your thyroid tested, its amazing how many things relate back to an underactive thyroid

Anonymous

HI,
i occasionally get a weird sensation on my 2nd toe on my right foot. It feels almost like an electric current is being sent through the toe, but only the toe not the leg or the back or anything, and only that one specific toe. i feel it mostly when i walk, no matter what kind of shoe i am wearing or when i am not wearing any shoes at all. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on in my toe?

Anonymous

I have the same problem but in my right big toe! Its really wierd. I havent had it checked out yet though. I thought I would come online and have a look if i could find out what it might be but I have had no luck.

Anonymous

Thank you Dr Reid for your comment.....I just have one more question: I am suffering from Bells Palsy at the moment and have been for the past 6 weeks! It is getting better as i am having regular Accupuncture Sessions. With Bell's being a Nerve Problem Could this be the cause of the Pins and Needles in my Toes??

Sorry, I don't think my previous post made it. I don't think how the two could be connected based on traditional medicine. Can't comment on energy levels!

Dr. Reid

Diane Porter (reply to Anonymous)

Anon,

I'm so glad that the acupuncture is helping your Bell's Palsy, and I hope the remaining symptoms will be short-lived! (The National Institutes of Health say that the extent of nerve damage determines the extent of recovery, and that most people recover completely within 3 to 6 months.) Here's their page:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/bells/bells.htm#What_is_the_prognosis

And here's what the Mayo Clinic page says about causes:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bells-palsy/DS00168/DSECTION=causes

I didn't find any research that suggested the facial muscles involved might be connected to the pins and needles in your toes, though you are right, they are both nerve-related. (Did they happen at the same time, coming on suddenly?) Here's a page on residual effects of Bell's Palsy:

http://www.bellspalsy.ws/residual.htm

You might ask your acupuncturist this question as well, I would be very interested in her or his answer, since they are so in tune with how energy flows in the body.

Anonymous

Hi,

I am having the very same problem with my left foot and its usually the two toes beside my big toe! Mostly it just attacks me out of the blue! I know i dont have the greatest Back ever and do suffer from back pain...Could this be anything to do with it???