placebo pills

By October 30, 2010 - 2:04pm

my doctor told me to start new birth control pills because my old ones were not functioning correctly with my body. she said to block out my period this month and not take my placebo pills. so i finished all my active pills, and i didnt take any of my placebo pills just like she asked. i'm going to start my new pill pack on sunday which is tmrw. is that ok? will i be at risk of pregnancy since i didnt take any of my placebo pills?

i didnt take my placebo pills though, is that bad? am i at a risk still because i didnt take my sugar pills?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Kaira)

If we're reading your question correctly, then no, you are still protected when taking placebo pills - or not taking them.

Placebo pills (in birth control) contain a little iron which can be helpful when having a period) but nothing else. So it doesn't matter if you take them or not from a protection standpoint. The reason we take them is to stay in the habit of taking a pill everyday.

I hope this helps!

Hello Kaira

This should not leave you at risk for pregnancy, because you are not missing pills. You may not have a normal period, though, but you may have spotting or breakthrough bleeding.

If you have further questions I suggest you call your doctor for clarification, just because I think it will make you feel better to ask the person who knows your specific medical history. But from what you are saying, it sounds like you will be protected.

Thanks for writing. I hope the new pills work better for you.

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines