ask: Placebo pills

By Emily B

I've been taking Alysena 28 birth control pills for two months always consistent and at the same time or within the same hour everyday. Last month after my period ended I still had two days left of placebo pills and my boyfriend and I kind of had sex. What I mean by that is he wore a condom but he didn't go inside of me just around the opening of my vagina (as we are just starting with sex and taking it slow)he did not ejaculate but he did have pre-ejaculate inside the condom and the condom did not rip or break. My question is how likely is it that I could be pregnant from what I have described? Is it safe to have sex with a condom while on placebo pills? And how effective are condoms and birth control pills when having sex?

Hi Emily B

I don't think you are clear on how the Pill works:

It works in a 21 day pill cycle. Once you have finished your 21 pills, you are pill-free (unless you choose to take the placebos which most people do so that they stay in the habit of taking the pill) for 7 days. These are the days you get your breakthrough bleeding - your 'period'. You are still protected for these days, there is no need to use condoms to avoid pregnancy, although they are an excellent idea for preventing STDs.

The placebo bill is a sugar pill, it has no hormones in it at all. It's just taken so that the habit of taking a birth control pill every isn't broken. Some contain iron though, which is handy to take during your period.

The birth control pill is 99%+ effective when taken correctly and condoms are about 98% effective when used correctly.

I hope this has helped!

You didn't answer her one question - do you think she could be pregnant from what she described? Or is there even a risk?

Emily B (reply to Susan Cody)

Thank you very much for answering my questions! :)