plan b period or not?

I had sex the 14th also the same day my period ended. I took plan b on nov 15th on the night of the 19th i started spotting here it is the 23rd and im bleeding like a period. Is this the plan b working or is this my cycle starting over? Im suppose to have a period again around dec 4th, will i still have that one?

Thank you for visiting the EmpowHER community and sharing your question. What you are experiencing is completely normal.

The most common side effect of an emergency contraceptive is changing the woman’s cycle. This can be scary, particularly if it causes a late period on someone who is concerned about being pregnant. Here is a list of its side effects:

Side effects may include changes in your period, nausea, lower abdominal pain, fatigue, headache, dizziness and breast tenderness. Some women may have changes in their period, a heavier or lighter next period, or a period that is early or late.

Anon, the medicine in these pills change your hormones and can affect your menstrual cycle for a couple of months. If you took the medicine correctly (and it sounds like you did) and had some sort of a period after, I would wait a while before getting worried. The unfortunate thing is that it may take a month or so before your menses is back on track. So we cannot tell you when to expect your next "real" period. The good news is that emergency contraception is 90-95% effective.