Plan b, sick, or pregnant?

By September 9, 2015 - 5:09am

Hi, I had protected sex with my boyfriend around day 30 (my cycles are usually 40 days long) but had an accident and the condom broke just as he pulled out. I immediately took plan b an hour later and have been experiencing symptoms such as sore breasts (at times, it's not overwhelming--like pms), head aches, fatigue, fever (lasting 5 days!)/intense sore throat/cold (related??) a week later. My period is late too (it's been 2 days but I know plan b messes with your cycle). I'm nervous... Are these plan b side effects? Am I pregnant?

Hi Lola1423

Thank you for your question!

It sounds like you picked up a virus somewhere. Your symptoms of fever, sore throat, headaches and fatigue indicate a virus, rather than pregnancy or side effects from Plan B. It's likely a coincidence.

PMS symptoms may be exactly that - you have PMS. Or these could the side effects of Plan B.

Nobody can say if you are pregnant but Plan B is 90-95% effective when taken within 24 hours so your risk is very low. A test taken 21 days after sex will be accurate.

I hope you feel better soon!