Q: 

Plan B side effect or pregnancy?

By Anonymous March 8, 2010 - 11:57am

Hello.
Three days after my period ended, I had sex with my boyfriend. I wasn't ovulating. We used a condom, but it broke. We went and got the plan B pill right away, and I had taken the first pill less than an hour after it happened. I didn't feel sick while taking it like I was warned I might, and thought everything was fine. Now, 5 days later, I am experiencing some light spotting which is a dark brownish with a little light pink. My period isn't due for about 2 weeks. Is this implantation bleeding or just a side effect from the plan b pill? Please help, I am so scared!

Anonymous

Hello i took plan b 7 days ago (48 hrs after sex) we used spermicide and a condom but i discovered a hole in it after pulling out. I am now having the expected spotting/light bleeding. I have no ther side effects other than a missed period and frequent urination and th constant feeling of needing to pee. What can cause this, please help? I have also experienced some nausea. I have taken a preg test almost every day and all have read negative. I have no burning or discomfort when peeing. Is it possible that i may still be pregnant?

Hello Anon
There is no need to take tests - tests aren't accurate for at least 10 days after pregnancy and sometimes up to 21 days. You are testing far too early.
Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours and up to 90% effective if taken within 72 hours, so the risk is very small. It works by preventing ovulation and stopping a pregnancy from starting. It is not an abortion pill. It prevents a pregnancy, it does not end one. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell.

The more frequently they are taken, the more likely a woman is to have side effects and an irregular cycle. They should be taken only for emergencies, not used as a method of birth control.
Symptoms usually start 2-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding or spotting. Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If a woman doesn’t get her next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low. Periods can often be delayed or longer/shorter as a result of taking emergency contraception. They should get back to normal by the second cycle after.

Thank you for your input the only reason I am concerned is because my period was supposed to come the day after we had sex and it still has not arrived

Anonymous

My period was May 1st-May 5th or 6th. I am not on the pill and we use condoms so on the 4th at like midnight we had sex but the condom broke. It was very late at night so I took the plan b one step pill like 9 hours later (being the next morning) My boyfriend said there was blood on the condom but I didn't care I still took the pill. My period like stopped after I took it. Then on the 9th I experienced blood which is a side effect of plan b. It's now June 2nd and I still don't have my period. I know it makes ur cycle go wonky but I'm still stressed. I also have lost 5lbs in the past two weeks so I know weight loss also promps irregularity. Wondering if this is normal.

Hello Anon

This is all normal.

A woman's body can lose-gain five pounds commonly due to how much she eats/drinks and her hormones.
This all sound like side effects from EC. A pregnancy test would be accurate by now so taking one will confirm this for you.

Anonymous

Hello. So I had intercourse on May 7th my period ended on my May 4th. My bf had pulled out on time before he ejaculated in me I was just worried about the pre ejaculate. I had took Plan B within 40 hours on May 9th. I didn't really experience much seffects when I took it only fatigue and dizziness. Then couple days later I started to feel Nausea, more tired, moody etc for several days. Then it's been a week and couple days now I'm experiencing spotting which was brownish or even a little more blood then spotting and it's dark red blood it may not be my period because my expected date is on May 24. Also I've been having mild pains or cramps. So I'm worried if it's just plan b or its implantation bleeding?!..

Hello Anon
It's highly doubtful it's implantation bleeding since Plan B stops ovulation. These are side effects. Look up Plan B's website to know more.

Anonymous

So I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend on May 6. I wasn't able to use plan b until 40 hours later. My period is very irregular meaning I can go 2-3 months without it and then sometimes it's a month after the other so I never really know. A couple days after I got some stomach pain, I have light bleeding started off brownish and now a little more red which is different from my normal period blood. I also have thrown up twice. Once was after eating something. I'm wondering if its side effect or if I'm pregnant HELP

Unprotected sex with a very irregular cycle is a very had idea as you can't gauge your ovulation times.

But emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours and up to 90% effective if taken within 72 hours, so the risk is very small. It works by preventing ovulation and stopping a pregnancy from starting. It is not an abortion pill. It prevents a pregnancy, it does not end one. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell.

Symptoms usually start 2-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding or spotting. Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If a woman doesn’t get her next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low. Periods can often be delayed or longer/shorter as a result of taking emergency contraception.

Anonymous