Q: 

Plan B side effect or pregnancy?

By Anonymous March 8, 2010 - 11:57am

Hello.
Three days after my period ended, I had sex with my boyfriend. I wasn't ovulating. We used a condom, but it broke. We went and got the plan B pill right away, and I had taken the first pill less than an hour after it happened. I didn't feel sick while taking it like I was warned I might, and thought everything was fine. Now, 5 days later, I am experiencing some light spotting which is a dark brownish with a little light pink. My period isn't due for about 2 weeks. Is this implantation bleeding or just a side effect from the plan b pill? Please help, I am so scared!

Anonymous

Hello my gf took the pill less than a day after we had sex, i didnt finish inside but we still had precautions and she took the pill, the next day she had a brown discharge that lasted for 2 days and her breasts felt sensitive and hurt, her period isnt due for a while but still its been a week since the pill and is the brown discharge normal??

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours and up to 90% effective if taken within 72 hours, so the risk is very small. It works by preventing ovulation and stopping a pregnancy from starting. It is not an abortion pill. It prevents a pregnancy, it does not end one. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell.

The more frequently they are taken, the more likely a woman is to have side effects and an irregular cycle. They should be taken only for emergencies, not used as a method of birth control.
Symptoms usually start 2-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding or spotting. Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If a woman doesn’t get her next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low. Periods can often be delayed or longer/shorter as a result of taking emergency contraception. They should get back to normal the next month.

Anonymous

Hello!
I had sex with my boyfriend on April 1st, the day my period ended. The condom broke, so we took Plan B as well as starting my birth control pill that day. Today I started to get brown spotting, and I am beginning to this it is Implementation Bleeding. My period is due to start on Monday, what are the chances that I am pregnant?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

If you have been taking your daily birth control pill, you were protected and should not have taken Plan B.

The spotting was most likely triggered by the high dose of levonorgestrel in Plan B.

I doubt this was implantation bleeding.

Regards,

Anonymous

I had sex about two weeks ago we used a condom but it broke. He didn't cum inside just pre-cum. I took plan b the next day. My period is always late. 2 nights ago I got the worst back pains and the next day I started bleeding. It was heavy and dark. Inhaven't gotten much cramps but my boobs are sore and my nipples have gotten bigger. My bleeding had gotten lighter after 1 day.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

The back pain, heavy dark vaginal bleeding and breast tenderness were most likely caused by taking Plan B.

Regards,

Anonymous

I had sex for the first time a couple days after my period ended. I took plan b about 30 hours later. A week later I had pink spotting for a couple days and it went away on its own. My period was due on April 1st and it came April 8th and only lasted 2 days. Thats unusual for me. Can anyone tell me if this was plan b or implantation bleeding?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Plan B can cause changes in the menstrual cycle. The next period can start earlier or later than expected. Flow can be lighter or heavier than normal.

It sounds like this is what you experienced.

Regards,

Anonymous

I'm experiencing something similar except I could of been ovulating and I took plan the next evening. My period starting late though it had a flow turned to spotting then next day was a brown discharge then next day had somewhat of a flow turning again to dicharge and now nothing. I'm worried it might be implantation but wondered was it from the pill.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Plan B can cause changes to the menstrual cycle.
The next period could start on time, or earlier or later than expected.
Flow can be lighter or heavier than normal.

What you experienced could be a side effect of the pill. Wait and see how your next monthly period presents.

If you do not get a period, test for pregnancy and contact your gynecologist.

Regards,