ask: A plea for some kind of answer for a very long menstrual cycle

By samslife85

I have been on my menstrual period since the beginning of November of 2008 with one day in between. I am also unable to get pregnant I had this problem before this started and didn't know why. My doctor recently prescribed me hormone pills to stop the bleeding for a little while the give my body a rest but there not working the name of the hormone pill is called Progesterone. i have been on them for 7 days and the first two days i stopped bleeding then it started again. Birth control doesn't help either. Does anyone have any clue whats going on? My doctor has already scared me with talk of a hysterectomy I'm only 23 and am hoping for some day to fix mt fertility issue and have a family.

samslife85

I mentioned in my post a while back about my unstopable period that wouldn't end my doctor figured out that i couldn't get pregnant because my eggs were dropping when my uterus was going in to a cycle.so my whole life no matte how bad I wanted it i couldn't get pregnant successfully... until one day my body decided to work and i just turned 24 years old and just found out on my birthday that i was 8 weeks expecting on the 16th so no period for a while and finally no more heartache just waiting so my question this time does anyone have any advice for me as a first timer

Dr. Susan

I have seen numerous patients just like you and have found that a combination of acupuncture and Chinese herbs seems to work the best. Have you considered Eastern Medicine as an adjuct to what your gyn is doing?

Dr. Susan
Lakeshore Wellness Center: Naturopathic Medicine and Acupuncture in Chicago.

http://www.lakeshorewellnesscenter.com

samslife85 (reply to Dr. Susan)

I'll look into that to depending on how my hormone test comes out thanks.

Anonymous

the bleeding is really heavy all the time and really spotty. thankyou for your input I go again to the doctor in 6 days adn ill bring it up to hm thankyou very much.

Anonymous

My sister bled for months and finally found out that she had left a tampon in. The dumb doctor never even though of this. The tampon had gotten stuck way up there and she forgot about it.She bled and bled and was so mad with herself when she found out it was such a simple problem, rectified by the removal eventually by a more thorough doctor.
Please look into this!

Hi Samslife

Thank you for your question.

From what you said, you seem to be on your period every day. This may not be your period - you may be bleeding for other reasons and have other underlying causes.

Have you had other testing done? If hormones and the Pill are not working, then your doctor needs to keep on trying to find a reason why you are bleeding like this.

Please do not even consider a hysterectomy yet! You are so young, have not had a family yet and our female reproductive organs are about SO much more than having babies! A hysterectomy should be a absolute final resort - not an "option". You should only have a hysterectomy if your life and health really depends on it - so many hysterectomies are not strictly necessary so do not let anyone talk you into it by assuring you that it'll solve all your problems - unless that is really true.

Have you been checked for fibroids? Pelvic Inflammatory Disease?

Have you had a full hormonal evaluation and have your had your thyroid levels checked?

All of this (and perhaps more) needs to be done if your bleeding does not stop. Putting you on the Pill should only be the start. If that is not working (give it a little time) then further investigation is necessary.

On another note, please make sure you take an iron supplement - all that bleeding may make you anemic.
What kind of bleeding is this? Is it very heavy or just a kind of spotting?

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: