Please Help!!! Can Next Choice delay your period or am I Pregnant?

By June 19, 2012 - 7:49am

Hi I'm 17 and I take birth control everyday. I had sex with my boyfriend while on birth control and we use the with-drawl method as well. As he pulled out I realized that I was taking an antibiotic and my risk for pregnancy increased because of possible pre-edjuculation even though my boyfriend and I have not encountered it yet and I was on my fertility period. I called my pharmacist and she said that it was very rare for that antibiotic to affect birth control. Just to be safe I took next choice 4 hours after sex. I took my regular birth control pill the next morning and the second tablet 12 hours after the first one. I have had all my regular period symptoms, backache, cramps, acne but no spotting or period which is suppose to be today. I was wondering if next choice is delaying my period or if I'm pregnant. PLEASE HELP! I'm so lost and I can't stop thinking about it.

Hi sarah

Emergency birth control is a large dose of hormones and you are already taking hormones (your birth control) so this can cause delays and irregularities with your cycle that should be fixed in the next couple of weeks. It's highly unlikely you are pregnant - it sounds like you did all the right things and were responsible by calling a pharmacist.

You can take a pregnancy test to ease your mind but it will probably be negative and your cycle will readjust itself soon. While we can never say someone is NOT pregnant, your risk is very low.

Thank you so much!! So do you think I should keep taking my birth control as I normally do?

HERWriter Guide (reply to sarah524)

Absolutely keep taking it!