Poison prevention

By March 11, 2008 - 9:56am

I was reminded of the importance of these tips last night as one of my nephews picked up a (clean) paint brush. While a lot of it has been repeated throughout the years, they're items that seem worthy of another run. Here are a few tips for preventing poisonings among little ones courtesy of the CDC:

1. Keep all household chemicals and medicines locked up, out of sight and out of reach;

2. Use child-resistant packaging properly by closing the container securely after each use. Some products also come in child-resistant blister cards, which avoid the need to re- secure;

3. Call 800-222-1222 immediately in case of poisoning;
4. When products are in use, never let young children out of your sight, even if you must. Take them along when answering the phone or doorbell;

5. Keep items in original containers;

6. Leave the original labels on all products, and read the label before using to understand correct use and dosage;

7. Do not put decorative lamps and candles that contain lamp oil where children can reach them. Lamp oil can be very toxic if ingested by young children;

8. Always turn the light on when giving or taking medicine. Check the dosage every time;

9. Avoid taking medicine in front of children. Refer to medicine as "medicine," not "candy";

10. Clean out the medicine cabinet periodically and safely dispose of unneeded and outdated medicines.

Tell Empowher what you have done to assure safety in your own home! Have you found lesser known safety devices that really work? Do you have a story for us that can warn us or help other parents keep their families safe?

Behaviors never allowed by my parents or in my household included baby-talk and calling medicines something other than what they are. I still can't stand hearing someone baby-talk a child (or an animal, for that matter); but, what I can't stand even more is seeing children's medicines in shapes that promote the notion it is candy.

I know it's hard to get a kid to take a pill that tastes "gross" or is difficult to swallow. But, I think some manufacturers have gone overboard in their attempts to appeal to children, while marketing to parents. We always managed to get the nasty tasting stuff down, somehow, screwed up faces and all. Melodrama helps, too, if it's funny.

I am guilty as charged!

This is not something we have done on a regular basis (at all) but I know both my husband and I have referred to our children's meds as "doctor candy" - only once or twice but that's once or twice too often! God forbid they ever got a hold of medicine, they may think it's ok to gobble it all down because we were dumb enough to have referred to it as 'candy'. Kids only need to hear ANYTHING referred to as 'candy' once, for it to really sink in as candy!

Boy, we think we are conducting ourselves as smart, informed parents and you read something like the above that makes you stop in your tracks and think "why did I DO that??"!

Cold and flu season is still here, I'm going to mention this to my husband tonight. Thanks for the tips.

Boy - just as I think we're getting the hang of this parenting thing...!

Parenting Guide