Possible to be pregnant and have no hcg detected in blood?

By Anonymous March 12, 2012 - 10:46am

I've been reading on various websites (I know you said they aren't reliable) that there are women out there who have negative urine/blood HCG tests weeks after when conception could have occurred and are actually pregnant- basically saying that a pregnancy can continue without any detectable hcg in the body. Is this true and/or possible??? Also, is it possible to see a gestational sac on an ultrasound but still test negative for hcg in your blood?

I don't think anyone has said other websites aren't reliable, just that a lot of information on the internet is not.

You will always have hcg in your system if you are pregnant but some women have very low levels that may not show up on a very early urine test, for example.

I really cannot say what a gestational sac could be seen but no hcg in a blood test shows - that would be highly unusual but could perhaps happen. Ask your OB/GYN about this if this is pertaining to you.