Possible Side Effects - Alendronate Sodium (70mg.) ?

By June 20, 2009 - 8:41am

For the past year I have been prescribed Alendronate Sodium for Osteoporosis. Within about two months of use, I developed dry mouth symptoms, which included a huge amout of mucous in the gum area. This diagnosis came from my dentist. However, I could produce saliva. Chewing gum gave me temporary relief. I lost my appetite, consequently losing 10 pounds. I experience a feeling of extreme bodily heat internally, especially when I retire at night. My tears also take on a mucous consistency. I have no energy, which means it is difficult for me to accomplish basic tasks. It is extremely difficult to focus my thoughts. I have discussed this with my doctor, and he doesn't seem to have a clue. Has run numerous blood tests which all are within normal range. My question is-----Do you think Alendronate Sodium could be the causeof these problems? I have discontinued my weekly dose to see if these symptoms will eventually subside. I live in a retirement community and exercise 5 days a week (using strength building equipment and stationery bicycle) I do have arthritis in my left knee and right hip. (somewhat limiting some activities, due to stiffness and some pain). I am 85 years old. I am the mother of 10 children (9 living) I guess what I want to hear is, that by discontinuing this medication, I will eventually return to feeling well. I appreciate any knowledge you can share with me.

Alendronate can cause side effects such as weakness, headache, stomach pain, constipation, diarrhea, gas, nausea, dizziness, and mild heartburn. Some of the serious side effects of this drug are chest pain, jaw pain, severe bone pain, and painful swallowing. This is not a complete list of all side effects. Do concur with your doctor and follow his directions completely when you are taking Alendronate. To know more visit http://www.internationaldrugmart.com/alendronate.shtml

Anon - A lot of the time drugs that deal with one problem end up creating a whole set of new problems. You may want to talk with your doctor about other medications and/or explore other alternatives. Good luck ! Pat

I to have had increase pain in back and hips. More so sense I have been taking this drug. And the palms of my hand keep pealing. This sucks. I thaught this medicin is suppose to help

Bernie - We have several threads with information from Fosamax users about the side effects and other solutions that people have tried:

You may also find information from the The National Institutes of Health Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center helpful:

Let us know if you find this information helpful, and what you decide to do. Pat

Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

can i get bladder infection taking alendronate sodium

I took it when it was daily pill, and I never felt so awful in my life. I was only 60 at the time. I have to go back on something, as my height decreased one inch last year, and I have thin bones still, no surprise. but i don't want to go back on fosamax

Have investigated using vitamin K2 and Strontium Citrate as alternatives to Boniva, my mother had many side effects from Boniva infusion. I have had some side effects from alendronate, have decided to disctontinue the med and try the vitamins and increase walking. Could this work for you too? I am 58.

Drugs.com provides the following link regarding Fosamax http://www.drugs.com/pdr/alendronate-sodium.html.

According to drugs.com, side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue using Fosamax.
• Side effects may include:
Abdominal pain, acid regurgitation, bone and joint pain, constipation, diarrhea, gas, indigestion, muscle pain, nausea
You may need to consult your physician again regarding the side effects that you are experiencing. I hope this helps.

Osteoporosis Guide