possibly pregnant or just very stressed? late period?

By August 20, 2010 - 5:50am

so I had a baby sept 2008 and got my period back when my son was 10 months old. it took awhile to get back on track, but recently got back to my 21 day cycle (I have been marking it down and the other women in my family get 21 day cycles when not on birth control) I have been very stressed lately, my sons father commited suicide in may, I moved july first, I have no job and I'm running out of money to support myself and my child. it is very stressful. I got my period on the 4th and 25th of july, and was supposed to get it on the 15th of august. it is now the 20th so I'm 5 or 6 days late? not sure how your supposed to count it. I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomache, and I took a HPT 2 days ago that came out negative. I have an appointment with my GP next week so I can talk to her and she can do another test, but it would give me piece of mind to get an answer here...

I've been having sex on a weekly or bi-weekly basis strictly using condoms

Thank you for your reply suesan,
I did get my period today while I was out, but will still talk to my doctor when I see her next week. when I got pregnant the first time I didn't think I was indeed pregnant because I was spotting when I should've gotten my period so I didn't think much of it.

Dear 4better days,

Thanks for your post and for finding EmpowHer!

Firstly, I'm very sorry about the suicide of your son's father. That must be very difficult for you and will be tough for your son to hear that, when the time is right. Do you have good family support?

About pregnancy - condoms are extremely effective when used correctly so good for you for being on top of that. Also - pregnancy tests are also very accurate when used correctly so that's good news if you fear you may be pregnant. Even if you are usually a 21 day cycle, the stress of this summer could indeed be affecting you. In addition to talking to your doctor about a delayed period next week, I'd also suggest you talk to her/him about what else is going on in your life so that you can be evaluated for possible stress or depression. I'm not diagnosing you- we cannot do that on EmpowHer, but I think it's a good idea to talk to your doctor about this.

You can take another test this weekend to ease your mind but if you are vigilant with condoms and already have a negative result from a pregnancy test, it sounds less likely that you're dealing with pregnancy, and more likely that you're dealing with stress.

Will you update us next week after your appointment?

I wish you the best,