Post menopausal vaginal spotting

I have had a discharge since my pessary was inserted about 3 years ago. In the past 6 months I have also had spotting from time to time. My gynaecologist cleans the pessary every 4-5 months and recently I had an ultrasound and no problems detected except a cyst on the kidney.
Is the spotting likely to be related to the pessary (it is very painful to remove it and reinsert it) or to the kidney cyst?

Thanks so much for your question and welcome!

Increased discharge with a pessary is not uncommon but you really shouldn't be bleeding. Have you noticed a pattern to the bleeding (like after sex or do you still have occasional menopausal bleeding or are you fully done with your period)?

It could also be linked to the cyst. A cyst can bleed if a rupture is possible, or if there was some kind of trauma - did you fall or have an injury in the past 6 months? Has your doctor talked to you about polycystic kidneys? What did they say when they analyzed the cyst on your kidney? Sometimes they are harmless, sometimes they signal the onset of Polycystic Kidney Disease. Let us know if you know of a family history of this condition.

Please advise us on the plan of action for your cyst, if there is one. Are you seeing the same urologist for both issues - the kidney and the pessary?

Menopause Guide