post polio question

By Anonymous November 19, 2010 - 2:21am

I have been feeling increasingly exhausted. My legs ache constanly. I have over the last 5 years had hospital tests for problems with dizziness and swallowing. I feel cold when other people are hot. I have problems opening jars etc. I work for the nhs as a receptionist and have started to make silly mistakes, almost as if my brain isnt working properly. I was born in 1952 and in 1955 suffered with polio. Could these symptems be post polio syndrome or simply age related?
Thank you

Thank you so much for your question and for finding EmpowHER!

Regarding your polio (not unusual to have had it at the time you did but I'm sorry you had to deal with that as a young child) you are correct in thinking it may be due to your polio as a child, althoguh it also could be due to aging, as you mentioned.

Before I go on anymore, are you aware of the organization Post Polio Health International?

This groups focuses and studies men and women who generally had polio in the 40s and 50s and more evidence is being discovered that they, like you, are showing signs of post polio health conditions. I'd love you to read their website and get in contact with them. Not that I don't want to not help you here, I do and I hope you stay with us, but this is an organization that I think can be of tremendous benefit to you.

Will you take a look and come back and tell me what you think?

I do hope to hear back from you soon, Anon!

Post-polio Syndrome