Facebook Pixel

Postmenopausal bleeding, wondering if it is an issue.

By February 28, 2011 - 10:25am
Rate This

I am 53 years old and can't remember when I last had a period, at least 4 or 5 years. I have not recently changed my homone medication, same as it has been for several years. I fell quite hard on our steps and landed on my mid-back. While nothing seemed to be broke, I was quite sore and noticed when I coughed, or laughed I had pain in my general uterus area. Oddly enough, within a few days my breasts started to get sore just like when I used to get my period and then about 16 days or so after the fall I am having a full blown period with pretty heavy bleeding. I mentioned something about this to the doctor (before the actual bleeding started) but he wasn't concerned at all. I suppose it will eventually quit.... Thanks for any thoughts.

Add a Comment3 Comments

Thank you for the encouragement to see the doctor again. I saw a different doctor and she was concerned and I got a CT scan which showed fractures of the transverse processes on the left at L1-L3. Hmm, not sure how that would result in vaginal bleeding but they are suggesting I see a neurosurgeon and an OBGYN right away. I am not sure what a neurosurgeon could do at this point as the CT results indicated the fratures were already healing.... But thanks to you for your prompt response and your good advice!!

March 2, 2011 - 8:00am
HERWriter Guide (reply to trader)

You are very welcome, Trader and I'm very glad you saw a (different) doctor.

Let us know how things go, I'd love an update when you have one. And if you need support, we're always here!

March 2, 2011 - 12:58pm
HERWriter Guide

Hi trader

Thanks so much for your post and for finding EmpowHER!

Please see your doctor again, or find a new one. You may have internal hemorrhaging from your fall that needs treatment soon. It's not normal to bleed like this - you are post menopausal for several years now with no bleeding at all. To begin constant bleeding after a fall that obviously affected your reproductive areas (evidenced due to the pain your are in) means you need to be medically evaluated as soon as possible. Don't let anyone brush you off and don't feel like this will just fade away. Please put a call into your doctor now.

I hope you update us soon and our best to you!

February 28, 2011 - 2:29pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.



Get Email Updates

Menopause Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!