Pregnancy Risk

My boyfriend and I were playing around and he got pre-cum on my chest. I wiped it off with a tissue, but I'm not sure if I got all of it. I then took a shower where I cleaned my chest with soap and water and then cleaned my vulva with soap and water. I cleaned inside and around the vaginal opening because I was panicked and didn't want any pre-cum to be washed from my chest to my vagina. Now I'm wondering if that was a bad idea because by cleaning vigorously inside the vaginal lips and around the opening I may have pushed pre-cum or sperm into the vagina? Is there any chance of me getting pregnant from this? I've heard that sperm is just a hitchhiker in pre-cum from a previous ejaculation. He had not previously ejaculated at all that day, however I have been reading studies that say that pre-cum can contain sperm without prior ejaculation. Please help me!

HERWriter Blogger

You're welcome, glad I was able to help! Yes, it is possible that pre-cum can contain sperm but a very small amount. When sperm is outside the body, it can die very quickly. Also, once semen or pre-cum is dry, it no longer contains live sperm. 

Since time had passed from when you cleaned your stomach and took a shower, it is very very unlikely that you are pregnant. I do not think you need to take emergency contraception since no actual intercourse occurred and the pre-cum was outside the body for a while.

Here is an article on EmpowHER that might be helpful: http://www.empowher.com/sex-amp-relationships/content/misconceptions-sex?page=0,0.

I hope this helped some more! Let me know if you have further questions.

Hi Erin,

Thank you so much for your reply!

The thing is I cleaned the pre-cum (not semen) off my chest first, and then used my hand to clean my vagina - is it possible that the pre-cum from my chest still lingered on my hand when I went to clean my vagina, or trickled down to my crotch in the water, and could have been pushed inside the vagina while I was cleaning? I did clean vigorously around the opening, and may have penetrated myself a little bit, but I'm not sure.

Do you know if pre-cum contains sperm? He had not ejaculated that day yet, and had urinated in the morning.

I'm considering taking Emergency Contraception, but am unsure of the consequences or side effects. Do you think this is a good idea?

Sorry for so many questions, thank you for your help!

HERWriter Blogger

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your question with the EmpowHER community! If you and your boyfriend were playing around, but no penetration occurred, then it is not possible to be pregnant. 

Also, when you wiped your hand with a tissue that removed the semen, and you further washed it off with the shower. Since the semen was on your stomach, it would have had to reach your vagina, and that is very unlikely since time passed and you washed it off beforehand. 

If you and your boyfriend are going to start having sex, it is important for you to use protection. 

I hope this helped ease any pregnancy worries. Please let me know if you have anymore questions!