Pregnancy Symptoms at 6 weeks?

By October 31, 2011 - 9:31am

I have been experiencing stomach pain for a few days. My lower abdomen constantly aches, sometimes I have a stabbing sensation, and I'm bloated and my stomach is very firm. I went to the doctor today and they diagnosed me with a bladder infection. There is a chance I could be 6 weeks pregnant (my period came a week early after taking ECP, and it was a very abnormal period), but all my home pregnancy tests have shown up negative. I don't know if the stomach pain is from only the bladder infection, or if I am pregnant and my uterus is growing, as well as having a bladder infection. Is it common for home pregnancy tests to not have accurate results at this point?

Hi kelseynicole

Thanks for your post and welcome!

It does not sound like you're pregnant, since your tests are negative. They should be positive by now. The emergency contraception you used can cause irregular bleeding, this is normal.

Signs of a bladder infection include:

Frequent and urgent need to urinate
Passing only small amounts of urine
Pain in the abdomen or pelvic area, or in the low back
Burning sensation during urination
Leaking urine
Increased need to get up at night to urinate
Cloudy, bad-smelling urine
Blood in the urine
Low-grade fever

For more information on bladder infections, click here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/bladder-infection

As you can see, pain in the abdomen is quite common and it would seem your bladder infection is the cause. If you continue to be worried about pregnancy, take a test in another few weeks but negative tests after 6 weeks are generally very accurate.