ask: pregnancy test went from positive to negative

By steph12209

i last had sex with my bf on april 28th and starting to bleed on may 14th it last intill 17th it was heavy, and light off and no no bloodclots tho .and on june 13th it last intill the 17th off and on no blood clots. so i took a test it came out a faint postive . well yesterday starting bleeding againjuly 15th and 16th no cramps bleeding heavy last night really nottin today off and on light bleeding . should i take another test or wait and see how this goes
and today i took another test and it came back negative what to i do now ? any answers

Anonymous

My girlfriend and I are trying to get pregnant. We calculated her ovulation date and did the deed! Six or seven days later we took a pregnancy test and it was positive. The next two days they came out negative followed then by another positve followed by several faint lines and then she started her period 5 days early. Not sure what the heck is going on. Any ideas????

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Taking a pregnancy test about 6 days after ovulation would be at an estimated day 20 of a woman's cycle - this is far too early to take a test, in general. The earliest, in order to get an accurate response, would be about day 23.

But a positive result is generally correct, as a false negative is quite rare. Faint lines happen all the time, and are considered a positive result.

Why some of the tests looked negative is inexplicable for us here, but the lines may have been so faint that you didn't see the second line. I know for a fact that this happens!

One thing I'm thinking is that your girlfriend may have miscarried and her early period was actually an early miscarriage. I would advise her to see a doctor. If all this happened very recently, then they will probably be able to tell if she was pregnant or not and advise you from there.

Bear in mind, she may never have been pregnant at all (false positives are very rare but not impossible) and may be having her regular period.

However, with an unexpected period and several positive test results, she should see a doctor today or tomorrow - the sooner the better, so that she knows what's happening with her body.

Will you keep us posted?

Thank you so much for the advice. We both think she probably had a chemical pregnancy. She won't go to the dr because she is stuborn. She says she got her period and that is that. I am a nurse and know all the bad things that can happen and am a little worried. Hopefully all will be well. She wants to try again next month but I think I need a mental break!!!

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

What are you referring to as a "chemical pregnancy"?

It is important for her period to be re-established before trying to conceive again.

texasgirl

Well I suppose, above and beyond the home pregnancy test... most women "know" when they are pregnant. They might convince themselves they are when they aren't or that they aren't when they are... sometimes timing doesn't work in our favor. But I say, if you believe you are... eat, drink and behave as though you are, until you can get validation from the doctor's office. Personally... EPT never did me wrong. :-)

I tried for 4 months to get pregnant with my son, his father and I were so ready and when you are ready, nature likes to torture you some... haha! But he is 12 now... I told him yesterday when we were in the car - "not all people can say that their parent's PLANNED for them... But you get to say that you were not only planned and anticipated... you were prayed for and given to us like a gift!! (sometimes when he's being a tough cookie I have to remind myself of that...hehe). It made him feel good for me to tell him that and I was happy that I could.
Personally I was the youngest of three girls, I wasn't planned and they were wanting a boy... ;-)

Anonymous

hi i had the same proplem i was 2 early did a pregnancy test came out positive then after 2 days i did it again and it was possitive again then afer 6 days i started to bleed did the test again it came out as nagative i was shoked. i am not sure if i was or not

shaz

texasgirl

Interesting... I have never heard that before.
My OB GYN, as well as a pregnancy book that I once read - stated that false positives didn't happen unless a previous pregnancy had not had enough time for the hormone to have dissipated... HHmmm... I'll have to do some reading.
Thanks!

Steph, I tried for four months to get pregnant with my son (now in Jr. High) and took many many tests anticipating a Positive result... Alison is correct in advising you to be in contact with your doctor.
If you are stressed or overly eager for a pregnancy to begin... it can definitely cause some issues while trying to conceive. I prayed a lot during that time and tried to relax!!
Let me know how it turns out...

Alison Beaver (reply to texasgirl)

Texasgirl,
My OB/GYN said the same thing as your's did, but false positives may occur on a very rare basis--mostly due to user error or an out-of-date test. The original question and information provided raised a few flags for me: a woman who wants to be pregnant thinks she may have seen a slight faint line that suggests a positive pregnancy test, but then not following through with another test or calling the doctor caused made me question the actual "positive" result. Was it wishful thinking, especially after 3 regular periods?

One note about false positives on home pregnancy tests:

They are rare, but false positives can happen under these circumstances:
"You may get a false-positive if you have traces of blood or protein in your urine. Various prescription drugs — including diuretics and promethazine (used to treat allergy symptoms and nausea) — also can cause a false-positive result. Using an expired or damaged test kit may have the same effect." (Source: Mayo Clinic)

Some tests are difficult to follow the instructions, and any mis-step in use ("user error") may result in a wrong result (again, usually a false negative, but a false positive is possible).

If you ever do have a positive result on a home pregnancy test, be sure to follow up with a doctor right away.

You have had three regular periods, about 30-32 day cycles, each month: May, June and July. Each period has lasted 4-5 days, with some heavy bleeding and some light bleeding. These are normal, regular periods within a predictable cycle every month. I did not read these as "excessive bleeding" episodes.

- I'm wondering why you took a pregnancy test to begin with; what made you think you were pregnant? Did you have any symptoms? Are you trying to become pregnant?

Just for clarification: you took a pregnancy test in June after your period had ended (after June 17th), is this right? Or, was it before your period had begun? And it was a slight/faint positive? What did you do? Did you take another test? Call the doctor?

Now, you have had another period since then, within your regular cycle, and it is negative.

If you are trying to become pregnant, please call your doctor. I can not imagine that you would have become pregnant, and only known by a faint line on a home pregnancy test (and not taken another test to confirm), to then wait 30+ days until your next period, without calling your doctor?

It also does not make sense that your body would resume its cycle on its normal timetable uninterrupted, if you did indeed experience a pregnancy.

Bottom line: If you have menstrual bleeding, this means you do not have a viable pregnancy.

I hope to hear from you again, as some of the information provided is not clear to me.

Do you support the idea of a single woman using In Vitro Fertilization to have a baby?: