Pregnant right after quitting NuvaRing?

By Anonymous February 28, 2011 - 7:57pm

I've been on various brands of birth control (pills) since the middle of 2008 and I started using NuvaRing on August 15, 2010. My last birth control ("fake") period lasted from January 26-29, 2011, and I didn't insert a new NuvaRing on the 30th (the normal day I would insert a new one). On February 19, I had unprotected sex. NuvaRing works on a 28-day cycle; 3 weeks in, one week out. So on February 23, I inserted a tampon because I thought I might get my period, which is the normal time I would expect it while on NuvaRing. Late that night I took it out and there was a very small amount of blood on the tip of it, but otherwise I haven't had any other bleeding. I've been feeling quite nauseated for a couple days now (maybe since the 25th?).

Here are my reasons for why I think I'm pregnant: I've read that ovulation can start 13-28 days after stopping NuvaRing, so there is a chance I was ovulating by February 19. Also, the bleeding that occurred wasn't "normal" withdrawal bleeding. The little bleeding I had would probably have actually leaked out (if I hadn't used a tampon) by the next day (February 24), and I've read that implantation bleeding can occur six days after conception, which is only one day later than my bleeding.
So, what are the chances of me being pregnant?

Ovulation test didnt work for me i used them like i was supposed to it always sad i wasnt ovulating, come to find out i was 9wks pregnant when i found out. Were ttc #2 and what worked for us the first time and what were doing now is intercourse every other day.

this happened to me with my first. always got a neg. come to find out I was pregnant. now were ttc number 2 and hoping for the same result

ok so i went off my birth control ( nuvaring ) in aug. and my period has came on time sept and oct.. my last period ended on oct 28th and we ve been trying to have a baby so its been unprotected. I took countless pregnancy test and still i'm not pregnant and still no period.. i was just wondering do you think this is normal or should i call the dr and see what's going on. so its been like 6 weeks since my last period

Since your period has been regular since you're off birth control and you are actively trying for a baby, a blood test at your doctor's office might be worth a try. Regular tests usually work well but some women show a negative result for several week. Some show an extremely light second line. I would advice you to hold it up to the light 10 minutes after taking the test to look for a second line. 

Good luck, I hope you have good news soon! 

I took out my nuva ring May 6 th, started my "fake" period May 9 th and didn't put another ring back afterwards. I had unprotected intercourse the 20 th, 21 st and 22 nd hoping to get a possitive onmy pregnancy test that I will he taking in about a week.. We are now the 24 th, Im not expecting my period until two weeks or so and I've been wondering how high are my changes of being pregnant, I am experiencing little cramps but it could be my head messing with me. I was on nuva ring for 4 months and I know you get this question often but I am impatient to know and a little bit of hope would be good. Thanks in advance. :-)

It may take a few months for your cycle to regulate but generally, a healthy woman has a 20% chance of pregnancy every cycle.

You'll have to wait it out every month, unfortunately (and pregnancy symptoms often mimic PMS symptoms) but good luck with everything and I hope you have good news for us soon!

I'm a woman of 31 and I took the nuvaring out on 4 March, I got my fake period on 7 march and did not put back a new nuva ring on 11 March. I think I had my ovulation on 24 March as I took an ovulation test and the lh hormone was on its highest peak on 22 and 23 March and the lh hormone was not detected on the 24th of March. I had intercourse with my husband on the 24th. Last week I started to get dizzy nausea spells, since this week they last longer, and last two days I was almost continously nauseaus except for in the evenings, sensitive about smell of food, not hungry at all, no taste for food, since a few das also I have to pee often, last days I also had some brownish blood loss, like spotting, only few drops and stomach cramps. Some days I would feel constipaed and bloated and other days completely the opposite of that, however I have no sore breasts and I don't feel particularly tired which normally are pregnancy symptoms as well. Could I be pregnant or are these symptoms due to me getting of the nuva ring? I did a test yesterday and one today, thinking I would get my period this week, but both were negative. Could it be too early to detect anything. I still didn't get my period but as I only quitted with the nuva ring a month ago I don't whether I can expect to have a regular cycle or not. Before using the nuvaring I did have regular cycle of between 30-32 days. I feel pregnant but don't there to trust my body as it could be mixed up after the nuva ring so I hope you can advise me. I don't have the possibility to see a doctor until Friday 15 April. Thank you for all your help!

(reply to Anonymous)

Ovulation tests are simply predictors of when you could be ovulating. Unfortunately, they are not always accurate and there is a possibility that you could have been ovulating on the 24th. Although your symptoms do sound like pregnancy symptoms, if you have taken two pregnancy test and both came back negative-- then you are not pregnant-- it is very uncommon for you to be pregnant and have a negative hcg test.

If you cannot see your doctor until the 15th, you can still give him a call with any questions you may have.

Best of luck!

Anonymous (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

I got negative pregnancy test and now I have a 9m old lol it wasn't until almost 10weeks did it finally show up on a test.

If you had unprotected sex on the 19th, then there is a chance for pregnancy. It is often thought that just because you've just gone off a birth control method, that you can't get pregnant-- that isn't true. If you are no longer being protected by a birth control pill, ring, etc. then you are at a chance to get pregnant. Since your period was due last week you may test for pregnancy with a home pregnancy test. It is also very common to skip a period or to have a change in period when you have just come off birth control.

Keep us posted!