Prenatal Aquatone (any exercise class in pool)

By March 18, 2008 - 2:08pm

I just saw the forum discussion posting on "prenatal yoga", and was wondering if anyone participated in a prenatal aquatone (or similar exercise class in a pool)?

I took this class when I was pregnant (hence the "prenatal"..ha ha), and can not express how much I LOVED it! I ached everywhere, was sore, ugh...I felt like I was in physical agony throughout most of pregnancy...UNTIL I stepped into the pool!

The extra weight I was feeling immediately subsided, as my large tummy became buoyant in the water. I realized my joints (especially my hips) were getting stiff, my legs were swollen, so I wasn't moving them as much (which made them more stiff and swollen!). Getting in the water helped me move easier.

Oh, and the pool water was shoulder-high, and heated...aaahhhh.

I can't say enough about this class, as it helped relieve pressure and pain while I was in the pool; I felt lasting relief after the class; I got exercise and moved my joints more, which probably helped during delivery; and I met some great friends, too!

And it's fun showing off your belly to a room full of other pregnant women in a bathing suit! :-)

Have any of you experienced a prenatal aquatone class?

I didn't do any 'classes' per se but swam 40 laps a day until I was a few weeks to my due date (I could have gone on but I was just plain tired). I loved it. Since we only weigh 10% of our usual weight in the water, it's an excellent way for pregnant women to stay fit. It also allowed me to eat some treats and get away with it!

I had 3 ridiculously healthy pregnancies - terrible 'morning' sickness (all day in reality) and heart burn aside. Oh and that sciatic nerve. Ugh. But being in the water was wonderful. Now all I need is someone to take care of my 3 so I can do it again! I miss swimming!

Parenting Guide